Carters and Moriah April 28-30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
So I wrote a long and detailed report of our exciting trip on the Cater Moriah Range and the Welch Dickey trip the following weekend only to accidentally lose it all (stupid computer error, I hate Macs). . . and I am TOO lazy to write it all again but I wanted JohnS and the Welch Dickey group to have access to the pictures, so here is the shortened version of my original trip report.

JohnS and I spent 3 amazing days hiking the Carters and Moriah. We hiked 19 Mile Brook Trail and the Carter Dome Trail and the Carter Moriah Trail using Carter Notch Hut and Imp Shelter as our overnight shelters. We experienced a little bit of everything . . . bare wet rocks, slippery conditions, dry ground, deep soft snow, hard compacted snow, thin ice, thick slick ice, fast moving run-off, you name it we had it and with heavy packs on our backs. This ended up being the trip where we hiked with winter pack weights and experienced summer conditions. We couldn't have asked for better weather. We had bruise enducing postholing, slick falls on ice, hiking after dark, late morning starts, sun and stars and even bugs towards the end. We tried to help Tiana the absolutely WONDERFUL caretaker at Carter Hut try to catch her plastic container chewing food eating culprit with a trap too big to catch it, failed miserably, we did however enjoy John's yummy chili . . . and most importantly we had the time of our lives. Thank you John for making my trip so successful and FUN!!!! And thank you for all the chocolate!

Sorry the trip report is lacking in the usual flair but I can't bring myself to retype it all . . .

My pictures are on my webshots page:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sli74
under Carters and Moriah

sli74

Last edited:
Amazing! Just as the memory of a wonderful stretch of days was beginning to fade, I log on and find a report and pictures. Congratulations, sli. You somehow managed to compress three terrific days into a paragraph or two and still capture the event! Thanks for the report, pictures and all the smiles and laughs. I can’t remember when I had so much fun in so short a time.

One last note: I just knew that ‘chillin out’ shot would be a great picture!

Sometimes the shorter version is prefered! lol I'm kidding!

Great photos, on this one and the other (WD Loop). I have to ask though Seema-- is your gear addiction getting out of control? Cause you're like a walking christmas tree in that steep climb to Carter shot! All kinds of things strapped on or dangling, AND a big pack! :)

sli74 said:
Sorry the trip report is lacking in the usual flair but I can't bring myself to retype it all . . .

sli74

No need to apologize. The executive summary is just as much fun to read as your usual well-written full reports. ;) And the pictures are great.

Steve

Good write-up

Great pictures Seema... and really like your new avatar... i gotta get me a new one... i'm still in winter scene.

You and John sounded like you had a fun time... and i know you had fun with the WD hike.

wahoo.. what a way to get me psyched up for the Wildcats/Carters... did you have to mention the steep climb?
;)

great pictures!