Catskill Loon-acy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
halia and flammeus said:
Howdy folks,

Just wondering - are loons expanding their range? Is it unremarkable to see a loon in the Catskills?

There is one on our pond - they are so wonderful to see and hear.

Sorry - no photo... if I can get the camera back from the teenagers, I'll take and post photos.
I've never seen or heard of a Loon down here! Cool!

Last year, my sister noticed loons for the first time on Keuka Lake in the NYS Finger Lakes She knows loons very well, having frequently visited Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Maine, which has 30-40 of those awesome birds.

Given that they have returned to Keuka Lake, it seems reasonable they could be in the Catskills! :cool:

Marty

Nice try, but we don't live in Woodstock! ;)

Although when you put it like that, I guess now I know why the loon chose this spot - figured s/he'd fit right in. Between the dogs and the teenage grls, I often feel like this place is a loony bin... :eek:

The loons sure are a welcome addition.

Yes, I heard it a few days ago. We were walking the dogs in the mid afternoon (approx 4 pm) and the loon was swimming, fishing/hunting, and called a couple of times (the 2 syllable call, not the maniacal laughter).

It has been hanging around for nearly a week. I don't know enough about them to know if I'm seeing the same one, or if there is a pair.

The mosquitos and deer flies are so vicious, I can spend much time out there watching or photographing... but I definitely want a pic, so I'll keep trying :)

Last edited:
I have seen them on one of the NYC res. and in a small wetland in the Upper E Branch of the Delaware. (fall) They usually need a long take off area, which keeps them away from the smaller ponds. A summer sighting or hearing is :)
Sometimes an injured or sick bird will just plop down anywhere. Does it seem to be diving and eating?

Well... I haven't seen our loon (loonette?) today. :(

We have enjoyed some awesome moments totgether this week - s/he posed for a photo shoot two days ago (i can't post the photos here - technical spazz that I am - email me and I'd be happy to send a few along), and we had a fantastic National Geographic moment watching it swallow a Big Fish (lots of struggling and rearranging the fish). Yes, I've seen plenty of swimming, diving, and eating!

And when I waded into the pond to take the photos, the loon seemed really tolerant - it just watched me and said "boop" a few times. I've heard it a couple of times - that long two or three syllable call. It also doesn't seem very concerned about the dogs, and they leave it alone. Sometimes it seems like it wants to be stealthy, and it extends its head along the water, so it is totally stretched out, lying on the water's surface. It is one cool-looking thing :)

I once saw one on the Ashokan Reservoir in Late April. I have heard them from time to time from my backyard as well (I live less than a mile from the Reservoir), mostly in he spring. I consider them rare in the Catskills.
ecc