Mt Willey Routes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I would appreciate comments about the difference between two approaches to Mt. Willey - the Kedron Flume Trail and Ethan Pond Trail.

I know that both trails bring you to the ladders on the Willey Range Trail. the trail descriptions are rather similar but I would appreciate comments about the relative difficulty of the two trails.

Kurchian said:
I would appreciate comments about the difference between two approaches to Mt. Willey - the Kedron Flume Trail and Ethan Pond Trail.

I know that both trails bring you to the ladders on the Willey Range Trail. the trail descriptions are rather similar but I would appreciate comments about the relative difficulty of the two trails.

Kedron Flume Trail is shorter and steeper, and commonly slippery. Easiest route to Willey is via Mount Field from the Highland Center, IMHO.

Kedron Flume is probably a little steeper, but not really that much harder, I don't think. I like it better because of the Flume itself. The really steep stuff is past the junction, so it doesn't matter which trail you take. The ladders are cool, too, it's like climbing into the Ewok village.

Just watch out for the summit caretaker. He takes donations.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Kedron Flume Trail is shorter and steeper, and commonly slippery. Easiest route to Willey is via Mount Field from the Highland Center, IMHO.

despite the steepness, Kedron is so short (distance wise) its hard to think of it as more difficult than any other route. I do recommend doing a traverse and hitting Tom, Field and Avalon.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I think the WMG exaggerates the difficulty of KF

I would use KF from that end because I consider it less prone to car vandalism, but DrD is correct that either is probably tougher than Avalon Tr