Mt. Cannon from Tramway 6/28/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
There are no streams to cross and there were very few bugs today. There are no blowdowns on this trail.

This is a very straightforward in your face hike. The trail goes up 2000' in two miles and you are there. There is a bit of a reprieve on the false summit, other wise it's a relentless climb.

The trail starts off with a stiff climb that is amazingly smooth under foot for roughly the first 800 vertical feet. After that the climb is basically over rock. Much of it is like climbing a slide. The rock was very slippery today. :( Friction climbing was next to impossible. You need to look for foot holds most of the way. Coming down you had to be particularly careful where you placed your feet.

The trail was so slippery that several people who hiked up opted to take the tram down. I suggested to one couple that they take the ski slope down and was told that hikers were not permitted on the slopes because there were too many bears that occupy them in the summer. I don't ever remember hearing that before. :eek:

Despite hiking in a cloud all day and even with a bit of breeze at the top, the temps were fairly mild and I never put on a jacket even while on the observation tower.

All in all this this trail gives much more of workout than the somewhat limited milage might indicate. :)

[email protected]

Last edited: