Utah's National Parks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTHiker

Reaction score
We are heading to Utah for 2 weeks. We are hoping to hit as many of the National Parks as possible. Any recommendations on what to do/not to do would be appreciated.

Campgrounds
Hikes
Any gear we need to bring
Restaurants/Bars

Thanks All!!!:D

Go to Moab!!!! Bring sunscreen, sun glasses and water bottles. Arches was a nice hike. Fisher towers is a long hike. There are national campgrounds all a long the river. Zion National park will blow your mind. I felt Brice was kind of crowded, in june. I love Utah and try to go back at least every other year. Have a great time.

scale back...

I spent few weeks in S. Utah in 2001. I would scale back my plans to see as many NP's as possible. I would spend more time in a few areas. I would do about 3 days in Zion at least, or not even bother. I would spend a few days between Arches and Canyonlands NP. Rent a Jeep for Canyounlands.

DO a couple days on the river on a raft tour from Crand Jct Co. to Moab. Go mountain biking in Moab.

Mike

I've spent some time in Zion (did the Narrows and Angel's Landing -- all we had time for) and spent a week in Moab (http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/utah) and I loved both. Although Arches was beautiful and fun for a lot of cool formations, I preferred hiking in the Needles district of Canyonlands because there were fewer people. Our favorite part of our Moab trip was going canyoneering with a guide -- a ton of fun!! I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you do ... can't go wrong out there!

You can't go wrong at any of the parks in Utah. And don't forget, the areas outside the parks is often just as nice or nicer than the official parks.

For a great intro to the possibilities (and more excellent hikes than you can do in a month), I highly recommend the book:

Hiking the Southwest's Canyon Country
by Sandra Hinchman

For campgrounds, plan on arriving early to ensure a site at the national park or monument campgrounds. There's plenty of BLM areas where you can camp most anywhere if you don't require any facilities.

The Bit & Spur restaurant/bar in Springdale outside Zion is good.

I've been out to Mormon Country 3 times in the past 2 years; I've become addicted to red rock.

I've been to 3 National Parks there:
Go to Arches and do yourself a favor by hiking in to some of the lesser known arches in the Park; the loop road does not do the park justice. (Watch out for Winnebagos)

Canyonlands is not as popular as some of the others, but the scenery and desolation are spectacular. If you're looking to avoid crowds I'd recommend this one.

Zion has any number of great hikes around and through the canyon. Some of the trails are a steep climb and involve chain handrails, others bisect the park. I didn't hike the Narrows because I didn't have enough time, but I wish I had. If it is solitude you seek, go to the Kolob Canyon section of the park (it's not connected to the main part of the park) and hike around.

Other recommendations:
Natural Bridges National Monument, west of Blanding. There's a great 20 mile loop hike under some of the bridges if you have time.

Muley Point on Cedar Mesa. Incredible views of wasteland in every direction. Some dirt road driving. Take the Mokee Dugway (State Route 261). It puts the Mt. Washington Auto Road to shame because it literally hugs to the side of a sheer cliff. Scary. Not for the faint of heart or faint of driving skill. I loved it.

Goosenecks State Park, below Cedar Mesa. Its worth seeing briefly, there's not much to do there but look.

San Rafael Swell Wilderness Area. This one was my favorite. You drive through Utah on I-70 you pass through the area. Its better to take dirt roads in and visit the east face of the swell; nude Navajo Sandstone, you can't miss it. Explore up and down the east face of the swell, there are a ton of side canyons that lead up into the guts of it, and many of these contain ancient cliff dwellings. Hardly anyone visits this area.