New Adirondack Speed Climbing Record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
It is with the utmost pleasure that I help announce that starting on Tuesday June 24th at 4:32 AM and ending at 9:46 PM on the summit of Dix that Jan Wellford of Keene Valley, NY set a new standard for the ADK 46 speed climbing record.

Jan finished an hour shorter that the previous record holder, CaveDog (Ted Kaiser), and also pushed the difficulty level by starting at a trailhead instead of the base of a mountain like others. The starting at the trailhead added just over an hour more to his overall time of 3 days 17 hours and 14 minutes.

Jan is not a member or this board (yet) although he reads it often, but is a member of Adkhighpeaks.com. He has been as you can well imagine, trying to recover mentally and physically from this rigorous adventure over the last few days. Jan is one of the most modest people with such physical gifts that I have ever come across and I know is having difficulty taking the attention we are all giving him. We will try to organize things like the many photos that were taken (Jan shot himself on all summits except Sawteeth) during the near future.

Traveling with Jan through day 4 brought feelings that run very deep having to watch so dramatic of highs and lows. Lows of physical pain and struggle and highs including not caring about the ticking clock and sitting and taking in views and breeze that touch you so very deeply, realizing how lucky we were to be there then on such a day. That feeling of a pinnacle being reach that we and others had worked so very hard for, for so long.

Having finally gone back home to Albany myself after having dinner with Jan and his wife Sunday I was left with the feeling of amazement. Not in the record but with Jan and his wife. They were high school sweet hearts who later married and seem to bring special charisma and smiles to those around them. They share a bond that runs very deep and watching her worry and care and be so on top of and in tune with all Jan’s needs of those days and after left me with a standard that would be harder to break than any physical record ever could.

Cory Delavalle

The following post is from Adkhighpeaks in a typical fashion of Jan to be immediately thinking of those who had helped him.

"I had a great time pushing my limits in the best mountains in the world! I couldn't have done it without everyone who helped with the event:

Adam Crofoot, Julia Gronski, Drew Haas, Jeremy Haas, Rik Jordan, Gary Koch, Steve & Yarrow Pasche, Eric Sicard, Jeremiah Reiner and Stephen Mergenthaler hiked with me and supplied me with gear, food and water along the way.

Jenny Mugrace and Julia Gronski carried in a ton of supplies, set up a camp site at Slide Brook and took care of me when I got there in the middle of the night.

Christine & Alex and Gary Koch made sure the trails were in good shape for me, allowed me to access the Allen shortcut and met me on my way down from Dix for moral support.

Tom Haskins inspired me to try for the record, and met me along the way for moral support and encouragement. Neil Luckhurst and Tim DuBois provided a forum for me to meet hiking partners and plan the route.

Cory Delavalle was Super Pacer, hiking more than 60 miles over two days, carrying food and water, and keeping me moving along quickly by setting the perfect pace. Cory, I'm all yours when you need support for whatever big adventure you decide on next.

Other people who were instrumental to my success even though they weren't present for the actual event include Ed Palen, Laurie and George Daniels, Bede Wellford, Vinny McClelland and Ted Keizer (Cave Dog).

Finally, Meg Wellford was driver, cook, chief support crew, and all-around amazing wife! Meg got less sleep than I did and had to deal with multiple plan changes and the logistics of getting everybody on the same page while I was out having fun. She also met me on Dix for a summit hug and nursed me back to health on the two nights I spent at home during the event as well as the worst night of all, the one after I finished."

Last edited:
ColdRiverRun said:
...not caring about the ticking clock and sitting and taking in views and breeze that touch you so very deeply, realizing how lucky we were to be there then on such a day.
Cory Delavalle
I like that, it strikes a chord.

Congratulations Jan!! That is quite the feat. You had some great people helping within your accomplishments.
The Bears on Allen must of made you "run" a little faster. :)

Wonderful. Congratulations to Jan and crew!

Congrats to Jan, and thanks for the trip report. I am impressed that "only" an hour (actually two hours, given the trailhead beginning?) came off Cave Dog's (Ted Keiser's) ADK record from a few years ago. Close to the improvement of Cave Dog's NH4s record by Tim Seaver, although Tim ran most of that route on a bad ankle, as I recall. Just shows how difficult it is to improve upon the records of such superb endurance athletes.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Congrats to Jan, and thanks for the trip report. I am impressed that "only" an hour (actually two hours, given the trailhead beginning?) came off Cave Dog's (Ted Keiser's) ADK record from a few years ago. Close to the improvement of Cave Dog's NH4s record by Tim Seaver, although Tim ran most of that route on a bad ankle, as I recall. Just shows how difficult it is to improve upon the records of such superb endurance athletes.
If I recall correctly Ted slept about an hour total. Jan slept about 9 hours total and carried an overall much faster pace. The time and splits chart is being put together and will be added or a link to it. Jan's day 4 times I found truly phenomenal. I had a talk with Alain (Pin Pin 3th) during our winter trip to Couchie and he said it takes him 1:30 to go out and back in summer. Jan did it in 1:26 after he could barely walk the road from knee pain and having already done 39 mountains. Usually the split is about even 45-45 but since Jan had knee trouble which kills the downhills it took him 50 out and only 36 up.
:eek:

Raymond said:
What’s the Allen shortcut? I don’t like the implication of that.
The "shortcut" is taking the private club roads to there end and doing a short whack to the brook and rejoining the Allen herd path. The "shortcut" was used by Cavedog and the previous record holders for 25 years Ed Palen and Sharpy. Actually the last half mile of the road is no longer drivable by car due to washout. And when we went in there was also a downed tree that made us go an extra half mile more on top of that. Gary was able to move the tree enough by the time we got out to save the half mile on the way out. Cavedog got a quad ride down the entire length of washout road so Jan actually had to cover 1.5 miles more than him.

This section is in the new land purchase so the access may become public right to the spot in the future. The current trail is easement access and has changed over the years. Near all climbing is done in the section that all the record holders have done.

Stev-o said:
Glad to see someone local do it!
If you call "local" being within walking distance of the place that you work (The mountaineer) and being able to go for a Great Range hike up one trail head and exit via another and still walk back to your house, than yes he is as local as you get. :)

Jan's the Man.

Thanks for the pics, Cory. Nice to see Jan smiling on so many summits.

I think it was a great tactic to get the sleep in. That's how I would have done it ... Of course, it would have involved 8 hours per night instead of 4, and 3 weeks instead of 3 days ...

ColdRiverRun said:
Jan finished an hour shorter that the previous record holder, CaveDog (Ted Kaiser), and also pushed the difficulty level by starting at a trailhead instead of the base of a mountain like others.
Makes sense to me, does anybody know why CD chose "at the base of the mountain"?

Wow...congratulations on an amazing feat!!! Does Jan intend on writing up a full trip report. I'd be interested in reading all about this journey. Which sections were the toughest mentally and physically?

RoySwkr said:
Makes sense to me, does anybody know why CD chose "at the base of the mountain"?
The 'base' is subjective, and note that he (and Jan) 'stopped' when they summited the last peak. You still need to get down, and the top of Dix is a long way from any road.

This is not to belittle the accomplishments, (Jan unquestionably beat Ted at his own game), but it just seems like it should be trailhead to trailhead to me...