How Are The Black Flies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADackR

Reaction score
Was wondering what the black fly situation is so far this season...

i've been hearing reports that over in the Old Forge area they seems to be getting to the swarming and bitting stage, how is everyone elses' experience so far????

my main question is for the Duck Hole region.....

thanks in advance,

not bad yet

I did Carrigan on tuesday this week, about .25 into my hike I realized I didnt bring any bug dope. The goods news was it was a bit breezy, so the bugs were not that bad.

Had my first swim of the season in the brook though. Ummmm can anyone say shrinkage?

Lumberzac, I wouldn't say that they were in force in the Catskills. I didn't have blood runnning down my arms, thats when you know they are bad.

The dry weather of late seems to have affected their numbers here in Southern NH. When fire danger is high usually the black fly population is low.

I was on McKenzie yesterday. Some black flies at the trailhead, buzzing but not biting(probably the males that hatch earlier and don't eat people). Almost no flies up high. For a 50 yard stretch along the Lake Placid shore trail on the way back to the car, I happened to walk thru a sunlit area. The black flies swarmed me so fast and furiously, that I was running to escape them. It was horrendous for a minute or two until I got in the shade and picked up some speed.

LtHiker said:
Lumberzac, I wouldn't say that they were in force in the Catskills. I didn't have blood runnning down my arms, thats when you know they are bad.

Well it was enough that I didn't want to stand around very long.:p

Got a couple bites in the Mahoosucs this weekend, but nothing bad...yet. Next weekend may be the kickoff. I was only bitten inside the shelter, actually.

Flies on Garfield this weekend...

...were non-existent. Maybe a few at the trailhead, but no bites.

did gore mountain (adirondacks) saturday - swarms but no bites - - - - did trail maint. on denning to table mountain (catskills) sunday - swarms but no bites - - adirondacks seem early this year.

Today I was in the northern Catskills stream fishing. I didnt see many black flies, but I did see lots of mayflies and gnats, but the black flies and mosquitos arent bad yet, but next weekend I think they will be out in full force.

Just came back from Old Forge and Inlet today. The little buggers were biting as we loaded boats in the parking lot, but not a problem out on the water (Old Forge area). In Inlet, we didn't see any - by Fourth lake.

I would expect that the black flies are abundant on the mountain trails. Hillman1 dealt with them on the trail to Seymour this weekend. It's time to add bug repellent and sunscreen to your pack.

sara and i were at duck hole this weekend and the black flies were not too bad. we did have a cloud of them around us when we arrived at Upper Preston pond and other then the parking lot yesterday where they were really out it wasn't bad.

No black flies on the Wildcats or Carters on Sunday 5/16. A few gnats here and there, but overall clear sailing (hiking).

Did some low-elevation hiking in the AMR/Dix/Giant area this weekend. Only had problems with biting insects when we paused near standing water. I never like feeling rushed when I visit Beaver Meadow Falls, but...

Camping near Round Pond was fine as long as the fire was lit. At sundown the flying cirtters went away, and mosquitos weren't really a problem.

I'd expect much different conditions shortly, though.

-kalless