a new ADK question...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...&2l=hvL/7yK2wGg=&2g=lq3Xhgg0bPM=&2v=CITY&2pl=

This is a link to a route I will be taking in mid-late august. Essentially for my vacation this year, I will be heading to a music festival in northern VT for a weekend and then taking a week off to head toward another music festival in Moose River Park in the western Adirondacks. I'll likely be car camping the entire time, but I may decide to bring a pack with me if that will allow me to do some lengthier loops. Any recommendations on campgrounds/mountains/trails to check out along this route?? I may opt to stay in one campground for the duration of the week (monday night through thursday night) or maybe break it up into 2 locations for a couple days...really unsure...but I thought the knowledge on this board would be a good start. As always I'd like to avoid particularly crowded areas...I know the mid-week timeframe will be helpful, but it is still August vacation season. Any info is always appreciated. Thanks!

And if you want to come up further North on "the other side" the Whispering Pines Campground has serviced many of us over the years. It's right on Rt. 73, nearly across from the entrance to Mt. VanHoevenberg. You will have very close access to many dayhikes heading out of the ADK Loj as well as Cascade, Mt. Van Hoevenberg and others. Lake Placid is a stones throw down the road as well.

There is also camping at the ADK Loj area and South Meadow but more limited facilities.

I'll also put a good word in for Whispering Pines. We have stayed there 5 or 6 times in the past 10 years and really like it. And like Mavs already said, it is convenient and reasonably priced. They have clean hot showers (I think it was a choice - - a dime for 3 minutes or a quarter for 10 minutes). Also, they are strict about the quiet time so you can get a good night sleep and get up early. Makes a great basecamp.

thanks so much!!

Wow!! Thanks so much guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for...Mavs, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear...a list of great hiking opportunities, with a nice clean friendly campground nearby. I can't wait...thank you all for the input.

Captain, a couple other thoughts about Whispering Pines...

(1) It is quiet, but Gathering 5.0 happened there so they are, if nothing else, tolerant!! (They are the third owners that I've known, nice folks.)

(2) Several years ago they built new bath facilities (up top, in the central area). Nice job, but they have individual doors on each "bathroom" - a shower, toilet and sink. It's private, but it often makes for long lines because each person is taking up three "stations" at one time. A second bathhouse is located further down in the tent camping area - it's traditional with stalls for toilet and showers and several sinks. It can handle many people at once. Suggest that you locate in this area if possible.

Re hiking: do some research and reading and let us help you out. There's lots of great hikes. If the weather sucks, there are some great low places like Wallface and wonderful second day easier stuff... If the weather is great, after any activity an hour at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant is delightful! (a short walk in - take beers!!)