Ye Olde Hiking: An Essay on the Pursuit of Hiking, History, & Family

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
Ye Olde Hiking: An Experiment (With Pics) In the Pursuit of Hiking, History, & Family

Ye Olde Tramping: An Experiment In the Pursuit of Hiking, History, & Family
I’ve planned this hike for varied reasons and for quite some time. Two years ago, I took what turned out to be our last hike together with my father. His health condition revealed on our last outing that he is not able to handle the trails like he used to, and he feels in retrospect that he won’t be doing it again. This was tough to swallow, as for both my brother and me, it was my parents goal to raise us outdoors as much as possible. My first hike was when I was six years old up and down the Crawford Path. My father still lives hiking through us, and is always interested in where I’ve been, what we did, and what we saw. I wanted to find a way to say “thanks!”. While this hike was a dedication to his family’s history in NH, one is forced to acknowledge that really the initial true masters of the trail were the Native Americans. That said, this is my Pursuit of Hiking, History, & Family.

My dad’s ancestors are Willard’s, coming to MA in 1635, was our ancestor Simon Willard, since then there has been: Henry-Henry-James-James-Longley-William-Lockhart Hall-Clark Stevens-Burton Stewart-my grandmother Hazel, then my dad-Eric. Henry was the brother of Samuel, credited with some exploration of the Whites, as well as likely, the first non-Native American ascent of Osceola, looking for signs and encampments of a band of Pequawkets who had just fought at the Battle of Lovewell’s Pond. Interestingly enough, in his journal he noted his tactic of gaining the heights, such as cliffs or ledges, was in order to spy camp smoke early in the morning. This he said, was in imitation of the Native American, from whom he learned it. While Henry accompanied him, he left no written record as Samuel was required to. (Ironically, we discovered that my wife’s family came to Concord MA where the Willard’s already were in 1640, what would have been my aunt, Mercy Willard, married in 1690, what would have been my wife’s uncle, William Wheeler, does this mean we are related?!) James and Longley both fought in the Revolution, James with Artemas Ward’s militia, and then with the 9th MA Regiment, his son James (Jr.) with the 12th MA Regiment, and my grandfather Longley, with the 3rd & 1st NH Regiments. What intrigued me was that not too long after the War, Longley left for Canada. The family has a tradition that this was because while in battle at Petries Mill, Little Falls NY, he was captured by Tories and Mohawks and taken to Canada. At that time he would have been 18 (he signed up at 16) but his pension deposition and military papers do not mention being captive, which would have entitled him to a higher pension. If he was, he returned quickly, he was back in battle again in just over a month. Anyway, I digress. He walked from Swanzey, NH, to Canada and settled there. He would repeat the journey 3 more times, returning for his pension claims and to visit the grave of Gen. John Stark. James, his brother, also left NH and walked to the frontiers of the Ohio country. I realize that these men, along with thousands of others, fought to insure and protect the streams we visit, the views we encompass with our eyes, the forests and mountains which bear up under our boots and tolerate our presence. I realized that if I’m out there enjoying what they fought for, then their family blood still pumps through these veins. Our eyes see what they saw, we hear what they heard, we can feel what they felt.

I decided to go back in time, as it were, to get as close to their experience as possible. I’ve provided pictures, taken beforehand, of the gear I used. Some of it I already possessed due to involvement with F & I War re-enactment. All were made by authentic sutlers and reproductionists, and are made from available original designs and fabrics. I decided to go original on foodstuffs as well, so all provisions are dried. I picked Jackson as my test run, my wife Michele needed it for her 48, and I hoped, considering the vast amount of linen I would be wearing, for cooler weather. My goal is to get into this outfit on occasion as I bear down on my 48. When I do my last one, I’m planning on bringing my 1750’s colonial .62 smoothbore, Cora is her name, and fire off a salute. A few words on the gear. The French Fly breeches and the workshirt are both linen. The French Fly style breeches were the most common and popular style for civilian and military use. A rough estimate of the time is that 60-70% of breeches were of this design as opposed to the Drop Front style. This would change as the years ticked by from the F&I War to the Revolution. Wool breeches were usually lined, however linen was not, hence underwear would be worn, and I’m pleased to say that even today,2008,this was the case. Felt hats were popular among the middle & lower class, and were a designation of such. Also, useful for keeping lice out of your hair. The shirt is a copy of one found in the region of Fort Quiatenon. The moccasins are of the Soulier de Boeuf style. Complete elk hide, laces and tops, sheepskin lined. Became popular in the Fur Trade of the 1600’s but were so durable the style continued to be made and produced, believe it or not, even up to the troops of World War 1 ! The snapsack is also of linen, and the canteen is two halves of similar gourds, sealed with beeswax, and held together with leather straps.So how did it go?

Date of the hike was June 29. My observations are as such. First the advantages. The Soulier de Boeuf boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn. The boots have been waterproofed with mink oil and despite the rain and the fact that the Webster-Jackson Trail was at the time a brook, my feet did not get wet. Nor did I slip or lose traction, even on the ledges below the summit of Jackson. Since the boots ride high up they did need to be adjusted frequently as they rely on being tied just above the calf. They are also the quietest footwear ever. My theory is that modern boots have gaps in their soles for traction, hence pockets of air. Step on a twig or branch and the resultant sound is carried and heard. However, with these boots (and I went off trail to test this many times)the elk sole engulfs objects underneath and muffles the sound. I can imagine when put to use in the skulking manner of 18th century woodland warfare that these would be deadly effective. The soles had no cracking or heavy abrasion wear, all seams held.

Disadvantages are linen. You sweat like a hog and it is very heavy when wet. The felt hat was another matter. Despite a first fragile impression, it’s not very flexible, nor does it give. On several occasions the wide brim would brush against a trailside tree, and instead of folding or being crushed on contact, it held firm. As a matter of fact, it would spin your head into the direction of point of contact. On at least three occasions my neck would get totally torqued around. We saw plenty of toads and slugs and fed one lone jay on Jackson. Weather and views at summit were very good. Got late start due to morning thunderstorms. Saw 4 people coming down and another four at the top. There was also a Fish & Game truck at trailhead lot and a crew on Elephant Head with a litter you could see from the road. Never got any other details on that.

All in all an enjoyable experience. It’s one thing to use this equipment at a re-enactment, another to put it to a more thorough test. New Hampshire has, in my opinion, the most unique hiking history ever. So, look to your hiking past, it can help map your future. Thus, to my father and mother, thanks for insisting that I be raised amongst the mountains and trails of my home state, where my energy of youth and my later years too, has been put to good use. This hike was for you. And to the Willards, from Simon, to Samuel and Henry, to Longley and all others: I have never met you, but I felt a lot closer to you today. My thanks to you as well. We are where we are today due to people like you. Some may argue for better or worse. But today, I was able to get up when I wanted to, be where I wanted to be, breathe the air I wanted to, and even hike where I wanted to.

Today I was able to be free.

Please enjoy the few photos I have provided a link to.

http://fishercat.smugmug.com/gallery/5336024_hWKUi#326146197_Dv2gt

Last edited:
This was a very interesting post - thanks for sharing, and what an excellent dedication, not only for your father, but all the fathers before him in your family.

Funny - I just finished reading Cooper's "Deerslayer", so your pics brought a lot of that imagery into focus.

Those mocs look really comfy!

Last edited:
I like your outfit - especially the soft boots. We know the Abnaki and Iroquois warriors weren't thrashing around the underbrush and the English settlers must have learned from them. The dried fruit looks like it would taste better than it looked.

The French and Indian Wars don't get much attention, yet those were the battles fought where most of us hike. So, thanks for directing a little light into that neglected corner.

Amicus said:
The dried fruit looks like it would taste better than it looked.

The dried fruit was fantastic! Especially the cherries. It came from an organic grower in Indiana. I could not believe the sweetness despite the fact that no sugar had been added during his process. The dried beef on the other hand actually had no taste at all. It too was organic and had nothing added, no salt, no nothin'.Obviously it was the best they could do back then. It would've given protein but that was it.

Great report. You give alot of insight into the way things were. And yes those linen shirts can get hot in the summer.

My ancestors did something very similar to yours. The father served in the New York- NewJersey campaigns during the Revolution. The son joined and saw action at the second battle of White Plains. After the war the son and two of his brothers moved to the Eastern Townships of Quebec. They went up the Connecticut River in winter.( Perhaps that is a hike to recreate if it ever freezes the way it did) The question is why would a Patriot move to live under British rule. My answer...the land was very cheap and British government might pick its fights better in the future.

Ye Olde Method for Waterproofing Hiking Clothes

Very interesting report! Thank you for sharing!

Don’t know if you have access to a copy of the recently published coffee-table book entitled “White Mountain Guide: A Centennial Retrospective”. But anyway, in that book is a recipe from 1910 which describes how to waterproof clothing for hiking. It involves immersing clothing in a mixture of wool-fat (lanolin) chloroform and gasoline. Hopefully, you elected to take a chance on not needing waterproofing, and skipped that particular procedure!!

1HappyHiker said:
But anyway, in that book is a recipe from 1910 which describes how to waterproof clothing for hiking. It involves immersing clothing in a mixture of wool-fat (lanolin) chloroform and gasoline.
Old rain gear used to be made of oilskin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilskin
Oilskin referred originally to a type of fabric - canvas with, literally, a skin of oil applied to it as waterproofing, often linseed oil. They are commonly known as 'oilies' Old types of oilskin included:-

* Sailcloth waterproofed with a thin layer of tar.
* Heavy cotton cloth waterproofed with linseed oil.
The term "oilskin" is still used for sailors' foul weather gear, generally made from modern fabrics.

I have also read of wax-impregnated fabric being used for the same. (Wax is essentially an oil that is solid at room temperature.)

Doug

Last edited:
Fantastic!

Great report, Scott! Very interesting stuff! As a teen I wore Walter Dyer moccasins on a daily basis, rain, sleet, snow. I don't know what they were treated with, but very waterproof. People would scoff at them, but I could sneak up on anyone. I haven't thought about them in years until I saw yours which look very similar. I may have to find myself a pair!

KDT

Very interesting report and hike! Nicely appropriate weekend to post this. I was thinking over the history of fighting for, and defending, this soil as I hiked Friday evening. I still have moccasins with similar stitching to your boots. They were single sole not doubled and I wore them for many years. Wore one through hiking in rain on asphalt. My mistake. Always loved the stealth aspect and the comfort and "feel" for the terrain you get in trailess woods. Mine are only thirty years old! ;) Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
1HappyHiker said:
Don’t know if you have access to a copy of the recently published coffee-table book entitled “White Mountain Guide: A Centennial Retrospective”. But anyway, in that book is a recipe from 1910 which describes how to waterproof clothing for hiking. It involves immersing clothing in a mixture of wool-fat (lanolin) chloroform and gasoline. Hopefully, you elected to take a chance on not needing waterproofing, and skipped that particular procedure!!

I have seen the book but not purchased it yet. That is an interesting recipe,I'm no chemist, but I'm trying to figure out how the gasoline would fit in.

DougPaul said:
I have also read of wax-impregnated fabric being used for the same. (Wax is essentially an oil that is solid at room temperature.)
That I have heard of. I learned that the constant state of flux that wax can find itself in, even with minor temperature changes, actually served to seperate fibers, and eventually its usage stopped altogether.

Kevin said:
Great report, Scott! Very interesting stuff! As a teen I wore Walter Dyer moccasins on a daily basis, rain, sleet, snow. I don't know what they were treated with, but very waterproof. People would scoff at them, but I could sneak up on anyone. I haven't thought about them in years until I saw yours which look very similar. I may have to find myself a pair!
These were made by a very accomplished boot making family who make period boots and shoes for many Living History sites and museums throughout the country. Presently they are located in MA. They also make, what is the closest comparison for lack of any other term, a low cut version of the boot. Problem is the low cut wouldn't give a hiker protection from low-lying bramble and bush.

Dave Bear said:
Always loved the stealth aspect and the comfort and "feel" for the terrain you get in trailess woods. Mine are only thirty years old!
I'm totally impressed, 30 years is incredible! The stealth aspect is incomparable to anything else, it allows you to hear more of what is going on around you as well. I agree that the "feel" is unlike anything else. Though I won't wear these everytime I can't wait to do it again, and I hope to get as much usage as you have with mine.

For What It's Worth

Fisher Cat said:
I have seen the book but not purchased it yet. That is an interesting recipe,I'm no chemist, but I'm trying to figure out how the gasoline would fit in.
Hey Fisher Cat, I'm no chemist either. But for what it's worth, here's ye olde "recipe" that I scanned in from the book entitled "White Mountain Guide: A Centennial Retrospective". Interesting, but probably there should be a warning "Don't try this at home!"
2179006450100435778S500x500Q85.jpg

1HappyHiker

Fisher Cat said:
Gasoline is a solvent that is also volatile. So my guess is that it helps disperse the greasy mixture in the fabric and then evaporates.

Gasoline also happens to be inflammable which leads to certain other uses and risks...

FWIW, I'm not a chemist either.

Doug

1HappyHiker said:
Hey Fisher Cat, I'm no chemist either. But for what it's worth, here's ye olde "recipe" that I scanned in from the book entitled "White Mountain Guide: A Centennial Retrospective". Interesting, but probably there should be a warning "Don't try this at home!"
1HappyHiker

Thanks so much for the image! I also noticed the mixture for leggings as (if I'm correct) 50% talc and 50% vaseline. Its so interesting as DougPaul's postings indicate as well, the care and time one would invest in equipment then. Its so much better and more intimate than just a spray-can mixture you could use today. Some things just can't be replaced, and I would rather invest the time to know the job was done right even today.

Tarry Ho Campground Owner

Fisher Cat ... Nice report ... I had occasion to talk to the owner of TarryHo Campground in Twin Mt one time. He's living history buff too. He was telling me about his hobby and his authentic hand made outfits and flintlocks. If you ever want to camp or rent a cottage in Twin Mountain, you should give his campground a try. You guys would have a lot to talk about.

Jazzbo

Jazzbo said:
Fisher Cat ... Nice report ... I had occasion to talk to the owner of TarryHo Campground in Twin Mt one time. He's living history buff too. He was telling me about his hobby and his authentic hand made outfits and flintlocks. If you ever want to camp or rent a cottage in Twin Mountain, you should give his campground a try. You guys would have a lot to talk about.

Jazzbo

Thanks Jazzbo! I will definitely keep that in mind.

There is one other positive I forgot to 18th century hiking. Even though you were limited to how much you could carry, you only needed one canteen. You could fill up wherever there was water. Nowadays, its obviously not safe to use any water source, back then, whole nother story. I think of that especially when one considers the Webster-Jackson Trail, where water is somewhat plentiful. So now when it comes to trip planning with the 18th century gear water planning becomes a bit more crucial. Which means: more canteens!

Nice report and photos, thanks for sharing them and your families history.

I have been thinking about a reenactment of hiking from the days of old for about 15 years now, and was recently given a copy of 'Our Mountain Trips' which has rekindled this idea for me.

As kids my dad used to take us up to Quebec to watch the reenactments on the Plains of Abraham every year. He had given me a lot of books on reenactments and so on. (I design clothing for a living, and have done quite a bit of costuming and sewn a few Revolutionary and Civil War reenactors clothing pieces.)

I believe this is a great way to celebrate our ancestors and give thanks to those who came before us and showed us 'the way'.

:)

I'm hoping that such trips may serve as an encouragement to pull out some old piece of hiking equipment and use it again. It could be something simple, like an old canteen or pack, that perhaps belonged to your parents, or grandparents even. It's a great way to make a connection to the past, whether regional or family. Chances are if you have a hiking family there's something shunted away somewhere. Get it out and let it enjoy the mountain air and trails again.