alpine flower id help again, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I think it's a blueberry or bilberry, but which one? Many summits have plump, green bluberries already. The shape of the flower is different that what I see in my guide and what I've found online. Thanks!

capsridge-1.jpg

happy trails :)

(repost from the thread of your Mt Jefferson trip report, saw that thread first)

Looks like probably two species here, Vaccinium uliginosum (bog bilberry) and perhaps V. angustifolium (the one with the flowers). You can V. uliginosum tell by the round leaves w/ smooth edges and blunt point; it normally has a 4-petaled corolla which is unusual for the heath family. V. angustifolium has the usual blueberry type leaf (longer than wide, point at the tip), and small serrations on the leaf edges. Around 5000' in places where snow collects in crevices, plants are often delayed a few weeks from lower elevations & it's about right for the various Vaccinium sp. of the area (V. uliginosum, V. caespitosum, V. boreale, V. angustifolium)