Canoe trip suggestions needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm getting together with 3 "old" friends the third week in August for a 6-8 day canoe trip. Two are from the Buffalo area, one from Nevada and one from NJ. I'm very familiar with canoe destinations in Ontario and the Adirondacks, not at all familar with canoe destinations in New Hampshire(if any) or Maine.

Any suggestions on destinations in NH/Maine where we wouldn't be canoeing past summer homes and lodges for the entire week long trip ?

If you have any idea also of how long a drive from Buffalo or Albany or Boston to reach that destination that would be helpful as well. We would consider fly-in options if that kind of thing is available in Maine.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Guess nobody knows! (I'm sure that isn't true, either) I'd be interested in hearing about NH paddling.

FYI, I figure that getting to the White Mts. (west side, around Lincoln) takes around 8+ hours if you motor. It's slow to go over to the N Conway side and can get traffic heavy on Rt 16. This is the Mtn area - the paddling may be in the Lake Region further south.

I'm guessing that Maine is more like Algonquin (Provincial Park) kind of terrain. There has to be plenty of water to paddle, and remote for sure! (BTW, getting up to western Maine adds a couple hours to above time... Bflo to Bar Harbor can be 12)

Magalloway River-Lake Umbagog on the NH-ME border.
you can be dropped off by outfitters at northern terminus and do
A three day jaunt down river to include the lake and a decent look at a couple of nesting pairs of Bald Eagles. There are plenty of photo ops for moose, ect... It is a mild ride not an extreme challenge. We usually stop half way, side track up a stream and do a quick hike up a small hill/Mt and do lunch on day two.
They will meet you at the dam at the southern end and portage you out. You can bring your own gear or rent.
One of many Errol, NH outfitters

A little longer/challenging trip, (1-2 weeks depending on how you choose) is out of Jackman, ME on the Moose River. You actually do what is called the Bow Trip and circle up into Canada and then back down to ME.

One of many outfitters in Jackman, ME

I have done both trips as a kid and as an adult with kids and it can be modified to make it as easy or as challenging as a trip as you want it to be.

Hope to have helped.

You could do the the Delaware. You could start as far up as Hancock or Narrowsburg and end werever you want. The Upper section has more rapids than the lower but non of the rapids are that bad mainly class 2 or less. If that is too much than start at Milford and head south through the water Gap. It is much calmer there. From the Gap to Milford you will go through National Park. Then farther North is the Upper Delaware NPS. Here is some info

http://www.nps.gov/upde/

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/

If you are interested in doing lakes rather than rivers, the Rangeley Lakes in Western Maine are worth considering. A good start is at Mooselookmeguntic or Cupsuptic Lake. Some put-in locations are Stephen Phillips Preserve, Haines Landing, Cupsuptic Campground and the public boat launch just past Upper Dam Road. Stephen Phillps Preserve on Mooselookmeguntic has many wilderness campsites all along the lake for reservation at a modest fee.

You could then go to Upper Dam and do a short portage to Richardson Lake. Then, canoe that lake to its southern terminus at South Arm Campground or the sothern public boat launch, or its northern terminus at another public boat launch.

For a weekend adventure, you could just do 17 mile long Richardson Lake, starting at the north side boat launch to South Arm, or vice versa, while stopping at one of the many wildenerness campsites for an overnight. Those sites are managed by South Arm Campground and require a fee/reservation.

These are beautiful lakes, with only a few populated areas and many moose/eagle possibilities. Lots of sandy beaches on Richardson, too.

Warning: these lakes (especially Mooselookmeguntic) can get VERY rough. When high or low fronts approach, it can be unsafe on these lakes in any type of watercraft, so you have to be prepared to possibly wait out a day or two.

Depending on what you're looking for there are two trips I'd recommend in ME - both are near Baxter and will require some driving. The Allagash as someone else mentioned - this 92 mile trip can be done in 5-8 days and crosses a few stretches of Class II rapids. I have not done this (yet).

2 weeks ago the SO and I went down the West Branch of the Penobscot River and made a 6 day/5 night trip out of it. We covered something in the neighborhood of 50-60 miles, no whitewater to speak of (this was our 1st canoe camping trip). It was a great trip - we had a moose swim across the river right in front of our canoe and spotted 3 others. Eagles and other large birds were plentiful, campsites were surprisingly nice, firewood abounded and the weather was as nice as could be hoped for. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in send me a PM and I'll give you all the details I can, which would've been extremely helpful for me beforehand. :) Outfitters are more than plentiful for either trip.

My info on the Allagash is straight from our outfitter, who's been doing this for over 5yrs, and is supposed to be the more scenic of the two. Hope this helps. :)

If you haven't done so, check the northeast paddlers message/massage board www.npmb.com
there are several paddlers who live and play and post from ME
btw Penobscot and Allagash are on my to do list :rolleyes:

Moose River Bow Trip

A good 2-3 day trip is the Moose River in Jackman, ME. You can paddle two lakes and the river and return to your starting point (hence the name "bow") There is one long (approx. 1 mi.) portage without much elevation change and one short (and somewhat gnarly) portage around Holeb Falls. Its a great trip with some whitewater sections (probably not running much this time of year.)
You're also up in the area of The Forks and if you have the time you might want to consider adding a raft trip through the Kennebec Gorge. There are lots of rafting outfitters in that area.

I've heard the Allagash is really good. I've done the St. Croix and the St. John and both were excellent. They are both in ME/Canada border. St. John is a little rough at parts. It's been a few years since I've done either, and I didn't drive so I don't remember how far it was.

Arm:

A good staring place for ADK canoe trips is here: http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/routes.html

These are short overviews of a number of routes. ADK http://www.adk.org has a very good guide book “Canoe Waters: Northern Flow” which has the most popular routes. This book includes the St. Regis Canoe Area, Lows Lake, Lake Lila, and Little Tupper Lake all of which would offer day and overnight trips.

Arm;
PM me with more info regarding you plans and I may be able to narrow down the routes.

Many options:

Lake Lila and Little Tupper Lake are nice for 1-3 days of paddling with plenty of campsites on each lake.

The St. Regis canoe area has the potential for longer trips with side hiking trips to St Regis Mountain.

The numbered lakes around Old Forge/Inlet are bigger lakes that have motorized traffic, but in the spring and fall are pretty empty.

Long Lake up to the Raquette River and beyond combines some lake and river canoeing.

I've seen a couple books titled something like "Adirondack Canoe Waters -- North Flow" that have more detailed info.

There was a very similar thread not too long ago. Here's some ideas:

Long Lake north into the Racquette River, maybe continue to Tupper (free camping).
Little Tupper, maybe paddle & carry into Lake Lila (free)
Lake Lila is a great trip by itsself (free).

Bog River into Low's Lake, maybe carry the 3 miles into the Oswegatchie and take out at "Inlet" near Wanakena (free).

Put in at "Inlet" and paddle up to High Falls. Return same way (free).
The St. Regis Canoe Area (free)
The Fish Creek Ponds area (free primitive sites)
Stillwater Reservoir (free camping - first come basis).

Note that summer camping on Middle Saranac and the Islands of Lower Saranac require paid campsite reservations.

Do the Long traverse from Lake Kushaqua-Rainbow Lake-Paul Smiths-St Regis Lakes-St. Regis Canoe Area-Fish Creek Ponds-Upper Saranac-Middle Saranac-Lower Saranac-Saranac River-Lake Flower (take out on Lake Flower in the town of Saranac Lake). I did this one in a leisurely 7 days, but it can be done in a weekend (free).

Next year, enter the Adirondack Canoe Classic (the "90-Miler") and do everything from Old Forge to Saranac Lake (the weekend after Labor Day). Cost is about 100 bucks (but you get a t-shirt!).

Last edited:
ADK's "Adirondack Canoe Routes - North Flow", and "Quiet Water - New York" are both good paddling books.