TR: Washington State wanderings Vol. 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Some things that have been going on since getting here...

Click this for reference

Mt Maude hike - "B" on reference
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150386/mount-maude.html

At 9082ft it is one of the non-volcanic peaks over 9000ft in WA.
Met up with Kevin, who had posted about the trip on cc.com, George and wife Karen, and headed up with the intention of climbing the South shoulder (flat ramp in the sun) route to a col on the south ridge, camping out, summiting next day and descending. We made good time, so we ended up getting to the summit on the first day and camping out on it!

A party in good enough shape could do this as a day hike. The trailhead is at around 3100ft, so its a good elevation gain, but nothing grueling. It is part of the Entiat river cirque and is next to 7 Fingered Jack and Fernow (on right). That day/night, we had views of Baker, Shuksan, Glacier, Rainier, Adams (vaguely), the Olympics (in the waaay distance) and various peaks in the S/C/N Cascades and Kevin spent his free time pointing out as many as he could. Definitively cool that we had such great weather and no one else on the mountain for the summit bivy.

-Icy lakes, SE of Maude
-Kevin near the summit and a gully with a steep 80+ degree topout on the NE side!
-View from the Western shoulder that heads towards 7 Fingered Jack
-Mountain shadow
-Group shot

pics here
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/ourbuddies/hike/maude0608/

Olympic Peninsula tidepooling, sightseeing - "C" and "D" on reference

After a 1.5hr wait for the ferry (holiday) and a 30min ferry ride you get to the Olympic peninsula... a world's apart from the rest of the state... and huge.
The GF and I headed to Third Beach (C) on the West side to check out some of the low tide pools. The hike to the beach is a quick 1.3 miles and then if you hike South a few miles on beach and up on land, you reach a rocky beach littered with tidepool life. The amount of sea life here was really amazing. I have never seen that many sea stars and anemones in one place... my gf really digs this stuff. The beach was full of campers from the weekend and so we decided to keep on the move.

We checked out the small town of La Push and then headed all the way back to Hurricane Ridge, a winding uphill road that takes into the Olympic mountains and views of Olympus, the Straight of Juan de Fuca, and black tailed deer... more deer. Didn't get many good pictures up there, day was overcast, but it would usually look like this:
http://www.atpm.com/10.12/northwest-washington-state/images/hurricane-ridge-2.jpg

Ruth Mountain skiing - "A" on reference
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150890/ruth-mountain.html

Saw this mountain on the "Selected Climbs in the Cascades" book. I had one day open this weekend since the GF was working so I decided that I needed to ski something and this would be it. Weather was overcast and I felt lazy, but I saw a lady in the lot with skis and she said that indeed she was skiing Ruth...I'd see her later in the day... so I lay my worries of going solo on a crevassed peak (in late season) and headed up. The mountain usually looks like this, but this day it looked like this. Holly (the skier) told me there was a 20 minute window with a view to the summit, but I was lagging way behind her and missed it.
4 miles of mellow trail hiking along the valley and I was on the snow. Holly and her dog, Lupe, took another better way up with more continuous snow, which she showed me later on the way down. I took the sucker way up to Hannegan pass and then booting up through some trees. From where the trail ends and snow starts it should be around 2-3 hours to the summit. No views from the summit, which I heard were great and included great views of Mt Shuksan.

The summit is at 7115 and you can pretty much ski 6' from it, which, in my book, is very choice.
The ski down is pretty mellow, no more than 25 degrees on the summit cone and unless you find some of the cornices and gullies it stays that way. I found some steeper shots here and there and Holly's way up was a lot more fun on the way down than if I had taken the same way I came from. Plenty of options

Google track

She then proceeded to kick my a** on the hike out... man, I had to go at a pretty good clip to keep up with her!

Being a day hike with a glacier to a nice summit, this would be a great mountain to tack on a rest day or acclimatization day if someone was ever in the area tackling Baker by the Coleman-Deming or Shuksan by Fisher Chimney's or North Face ;)

That's it for this installment :)

Last edited:
Hmmm, you move out west, send us "wicked pissa" pics from Mts named after women (though I'm not sure you want to mention that you climbed on top of Maude with this crowd :rolleyes: ), and chase some local skier all over a mountain on skis... in July. Sounds like life doesn't suck!

yea, please don't post anymore. This is the first time in 3 years I am not going to the cascades in summer and not enjoying that feeling of withdrawel. :p :p :p

the Whites are great, but they ain't the Cascades. ;) ;)

Awesome stuff, Doug. Can't wait to get out there next week!! You coming along for any of the adventure?

SK, you know I can't resist lovely ladies, whether they are 5' or 9000' tall...

Gig... hey, weren't you mentioning coming to Baker in July? Whatever happened to that?

Gillian said:
.maybe you'll meet up with Chomp et al :)
Lol, yeah, maybe :D

cbcbd said:
SK, you know I can't resist lovely ladies, whether they are 5' or 9000' tall...

Gig... hey, weren't you mentioning coming to Baker in July? Whatever happened to that?

Lol, yeah, maybe :D

Yea deb kind of said that's not happening - with the dollar worth slightly more than monoploy money in europe we took a big hit cashwise while there in may

Not to be this year - next year should be a lock tho - can't wait to visit your floor - hardy har har!!

Don't listen to Giggy keep on a postin'

I figured you'd like it out there, so many mountains, so little time.

You go find all the good little nooks and crannies and stashes to ski so we can get bad ideas in our heads and be forced to come out there and visit. :cool:

Nif

Great reports and pics Doug!! You're making me drool here... :p

I love that area and it's been years since I was there, looks like a return visit is in order. I second what Nif is saying, go find all the best of's and we'll all come out!!! It could be a next gathering for Barnes Field -re-located for a week!

Would love to get to climb with you..it never happened while you were here. Jen thinks we'd be trouble.....together climbing!!! Sounds like fun to me!! :D

Enjoy your new haunts and keep sharing!!!