Algonquin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Algonquin is one of my favorites, mainly because of the views. I climbed this one 2 years ago this exact weekend. Expect some snow between the Wright trail junction and treeline on Algonquin, (although it should be easily navigated). Bring a camera! Hope to see pics and a trip report. :)

Go for it!!!!!

Consider going over Boundary to Iroquois as long as you are up there, it is mostly above treeline and quite an experience! It is not too much additional climbing either.:cool:

chew up the trail?

If you mean the same Algonquin that I climbed on Thursday, i.e., the one with rocks all the way to the top, the one that has one of the best hardened trails in the High Peaks, the one that an army wearing crampons couldn't further "damage", then I don't think you'll be chewing up any trail. Although I did have to race a t-storm over Algonquin on the way out...perhaps the trail erosion gods were venting their wrath at me.

Go have some fun, it sounds as if you are ready for it. BTW, there is virtually no snow on the trail, including the trip over to Iroquois.

(Quote) "If it was felt the trail was okay to ignore the ban on, it would be on the 'approved' list. It's not and it's poor form to announce to all that 'ban be damned. I am going hiking'"

AlpineSummit, I agree with your sentiment.

However, this is not a "ban", but an advisory. A rather broad and arbitrary advisory at that (what makes June 7th the magic day?). I would hope that hikers would take this advisory into account before deciding on a hike, but I would also hope that they are intelligent enough to make rational decisions when conditions change and not be bound by sweeping statements. The recent heat wave and relatively dry weather have, apparently, eased the expected mud conditions on some of the trails. If this is, in fact, true, then I see nothing wrong with making a choice to hike those trails. When one thinks about it, a dry trail in May is less likely to be damaged than a trail in July that has had two days of recent hard rains, yet no one would question the judgement of a hikers who would take such a hike in July.

In the past, the DEC has not changed any open advisories when conditions changed. Perhaps all would be better served if these advisories were more specific and adjusted acordingly. This would give more credibility and, therefore, more "force" to these advisories.

.......Can't hold back the sarcasm!!!!

I feel a sudden urge to hike in the mud, with a dog, a handgun, and a cellphone!!!:D

Actually, I don't own a dog or a gun.

Last edited:
I love the views from Algonquin- especially the view of Colden. You can see the Trap Dike and all the Slides on the Avalanche Lake side.

Have a great trip:cool:

However, this is not a "ban", but an advisory. A rather broad and arbitrary advisory at that (what makes June 7th the magic day?).

This is my thinking. I'm trying esther and whiteface tomorrow.

If there trails are poor, I'll go elsewhere... but because of the warmth recently all trail reports I've read were VERY positive and it seems we're already through the worse this spring has to offer (well, the black flies are just coming out :D ).

AlpineSummit said:
If it was felt the trail was okay to ignore the ban on, it would be on the 'approved' list. It's not and it's poor form to announce to all that 'ban be damned. I am going hiking'

Yes, I am going hiking. I hike throughout the year, including "mud season." This year has been a light one for me, and I have only climbed about 30 peaks in April and May so far. The only one- yes ONE- trail where I observed unstable soil conditions that might precipitate "trail damage" was on Cascade. Interestingly, that trail is on the "approved" list.

But, for the record, I don't believe I said anything about damning the ban. I am in fact a proponent of the advisory approach used by DEC. From my point of view their approach clearly recognizes that there is indeed some non-zero level of "trail damage" that is acceptable, and that by slightly further reducing the traffic (during what is normally a light traffic time of year anyways) they can achieve the goal they seek. My hat is off to them for implementing a reasoned management practice that balances the needs of the user and the resource.

Tom, as you just stated, your erosion damage must be acceptable to you in your mind, and that of others must not. Nothing personal, but this type of hypocritical thinking does not justify it nor make you a "good" guy.

However, I believe your real position is that you will hike when you feel the trail conditions are acceptable from your experience. I understand that position and so should any bureaucrat in Albany or any other logical thinking person.

Lawmakers should not decide when you should go hiking, but us "stewards of the mountains" have a duty and should encourage those who don't know better to stay off the trails until conditions are less potentially destructive.

I am also jealous of your 30 mountains this spring.

Guess I opened a can of worms. My comment was directed mainly at the suggestion to head over to Iroquois, the path there being one of the muckiest in the High Peaks, even in August. Also, I take exception to the general notion that "Damn the Intelligence, full speed ahead" is a good idea. One can easily find oneself in a quagmire.

Algonquin Trip Report May 16

Sunday made for a perfect day to go for a hike. The "highway" to
Marcy Dam was in great shape and had very little mud. Shortly after the trailhead
to Algonquin (.5 Miles) you run into a great amount of mud but
this all can be easily avoided if you stay on the dry rocks. Generally the trail
is easily navigated until the Falls, at that point the mud and puddles get much worse I suppose
if you don't like getting dirty you may want to bring gaitors but I did the whole
trail in approach shoes and climbing pants. It was muddy but but smooth going until the
Wright Tail junction, at this point most of the steep slabs were
very small waterfalls covering most of the rock. To my surprise the rocks
athough covered in water offered a fair amount of grip. There were small patches of snow leading
to the summit but spring is quite obviously here even on the highest of the peaks.
Above treeline it was all dry right to the summit, the views were beautiful. We went up
as a group of four at 12pm and one of the group was not experienced or ready for the climb
Esp. for the descent on water covered rocks, I stayed behind with the person for her saftey
we did not arrive at the Loj until 8:20 PM :( Other than that it was good times had by all. I stayed away from Iroquois and Boundary considerning the possible Apline damage that could occur. But personall I have seen the trails in much worse condition during the summer rain storms.

Whiteface and esther's trails were in really good shape considering the fuss being made over the mud. It sounds like some of the north-facing trails still have some mud issues, so it may be a good idea to avoid them... but i consider this season begun for me :).