Private campgrounds around Lafayette?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimi

Reaction score
Hello fellow hikers!

I'm planning a ten day hiking stretch in the Whites mid-July. Lafayette National Campground is fully booked for the days I need.

Would anyone know of a few private campgrounds in the Lafayette or Liberty/Flume at road level I can check into ?

Thank's for your guidance

I don't recall any other private or public campgrounds on the Franconia Notch Parkway (besides Lafayette). I found this one nearby:

Fransted Campground

Here is a map of the national forest campgrounds in the area (again none directly near Lafayette or Liberty/Flume).

USFS Campground Map

Good luck.

Another Suggestion

In Twin Mountain, which is a very short drive to Franconia Notch, there is a KOA Campground that has won 2 awards for excellence. Click HERE for link.

Wherever you end up, best wishes for happy hiking!!

1HappyHiker

Mimi,

Down the road in Lincoln and North Woodstock there are private campgrounds. In Lincoln there is the Country Bumpkins. In North Woodstock there is Maple Haven and Lost River Valley Campground.

The White Mountain National Forest has campgrounds that offer first come first serve spots. I like Russell Pond (16) and Hanckock (11) for tenting. Wildwood (22) wouldn't be too bad.

There is also a KOA in Thornton, NH.

I'm sure there are others.

jod

Yeah, if anybody is in the area on the 19-20th, stop on by, we'll leave the light on for ya. I think we're in #9, as per a friend's recommendation. ;)

Jay

Cold Spring Campground just south of the Notch was always our favorite for convenience and economy. Expect by now it may be under new management but it was always clean, welcoming and well maintained.

getting to Woodstock NH question.

those coming from the SW, do you think it is better to take I-91 and then kind of head east using 25A and 118? from Fairlee, Orford or is it better just to go to I495 outside Boston and then just take I-93 north to Woodstock?

I'll have all day sunday to get there....

Jay

cbcdc would know - he use to come up from southern CT all the time.

I take 495 to rt 3 to 93.

I know people like BoB (western ma) take 91 - so not sure.

Jay, for what it's worth, get off I-91 at the Bradford exit & take Rt 25 into Piermont NH . Rt 25 becomes 25C and takes you into Warren & then Rt 118 takes you over the mountain into N. Woodstock . It's only one more exit up and a nicer, more direct drive and saves about 3 miles over 25A.
Fun in a turbo Subie too :D

Dave

Yeah, the Turbo Subby would be fun, however, it (subaru) should of out a rear sway bar on it, and the suspension is too loose for real spirited driving, a Legacy GT would be much nicer at least on the road.

Last question (I think), is there cell reception in Woodstock, NH? I have ATT and might need to make some phone calls...

Jay

heehee, maybe one more question, this is for Chip...

How is the never ending construction on I-84 in hartford going? Any problems getting to I-91 from there?

Jay

from 84 after waterbury take 691 in Southington to 91 north, then stay in the fast lane when you get near Hartford to avoid the back-up getting off 91 there.