Places you know of that have ice late into the season...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wallface/Indian Pass in the ADKs is known to have pockets of ice well into summer.

KZKlimber said:
Wallface/Indian Pass in the ADKs is known to have pockets of ice well into summer.

I've only hiked Indian Pass Trail once (two years ago, I think) and we were all amazed to find waist-deep snow going up the pass by Wallface in June.. It was a great (and refreshing!) experience considering how little experience I've had hiking up to that time.

Ice Caves Mt.....

.....above and East of Ellenvile NY, have deep ravines with year round (or nearly) ice at the bottom. Caves stretch off and shoot out in all directions from the bottom. There is a frozen deer at the bottom of the ravine that was there at least fifteen ryears; last time i was there was 5 years or so ago.

Its really an unforgettable trek. Its beauty and intrigue cannot be overstated.

Mike

Of course Indian Pass. I've also found ice in the caves on Chimney Mountain in Indian Lake, right through the entire year.

What you are looking for is talus areas where snow gets down among the boulders and then the sun can't get in to melt it

Two other famous places are Devils Hopyard near Stark NH and the Ice Beds near Middlebury VT

There is actually two places in the Gunks. One Rodak46 mentiones but also Above Ellenville but on the west side of the Shawangunk ridge is the more famouse Ice Caves. These are much easier to get to since it is a popular tourist trap. Plus complete with lights.

Purgatory Chasm south of Worcester, MA (rt. 146 south?) I saw ice in a few of the caves at the end of June one year.