Past Peak(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you've got a buddy named "Teddy"....who knows what might happen :D

carole said:
That is possible but I don't think he would want to lower the elevation of his view from his house much. A lot of blasting and rock work was also done for all the carriage roads.
If you look at the bump the castle sits on, it looks like the top has been levelled.

With old style earthmoving equipment, you didn't want to move stuff very far. In your photo, it looks like the road was placed so material blasted on the R side could be dumped on the L so it didn't have to be moved lengthwise hardly at all.

So they might have blasted on Mt Shaw to get rock for nearby carriage roads, but it's doubtful the took anything as far as the castle with all the closer sources.

RoySwkr said:
If you look at the bump the castle sits on, it looks like the top has been levelled.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I think the bumps for Shaw, Roberts and others look like they have been leveled. Thus the carriage turn-arounds on each.

Here's a interesting quote:
"The ring dike we see today is
less than one-third of its original
height, yet it stands out squarely from
the valley lowlands that have eroded
at even a faster rate."

(see page 3)
http://www.gmcg.org/administration/pdf/2003-summer.pdf

This is not a peak but somebody asked me for an old photo of the cairn at Thunderstorm Junction and here it is in 1976, the guy in yellow is just over 6 feet tall

Quite the structure!! I have a more current photo, but it is winter and not as closeup to see the difference. Maybe someone has something recent?