Dix

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
I'm a new hiker. Appreciate your site and your dedicated service to it. I was hoping to get some information to help me climb the dix range (all but Dix) and Marshall/Iroquois over Memorial day. Specifically interested in best loop from Elk lake through Dix range without getting caught up in the blow down. GPS coordinates would be especially benefical. As far as Iroquois/Marshall, interested in cairn coordinates for herd paths to each from the pass between them, path coordinates, and approximate hiking time, round trip, for each.

Thanks in advance

I thought somebody had indicated that the High Peaks trails were unofficially closed until June 7th (trails over a certain elevation, that is), but whenever you do go...

I've done the Dix Range twice, and both times I started at Elk Lake, hiked all the way up through Hunters Pass to the summit of Dix, then followed the herd paths "downhill" from there, going down the Macomb slide, then returning to the Red Trail near the Slide Brook lean-to. Somebody a few years ago on this Web site had said that following the trail in that direction would give one a better chance of success than trying to locate the herd path up Macomb slide, and it's worked for me. I understand that most people don't follow the trail clockwise like this, but I like it. Looking back up to the Beckhorn from a low spot between Dix and Hough, you'll be glad you won't have to make that climb at the end of the day.

You may figure you don't need to bother climbing Dix if you've already done it once, but if you try to follow a herd path down Lillian Brook, I suspect (from what others have described here) that you'll spend as much time making your way through the blowdown as you would spend following the longer marked trail instead. It took me just under 12 hours to do the entire hike when I did it back in September 2001. I drove up from a motel in Schroon Lake early in the morning and returned there in the evening.

The herd path from Dix drops off the Beckhorn. Just orient your map with the landscape and you can figure out which way the path goes. From the Beckhorn there are a number of steep drops, but you'll note that the rocks have been scarred by crampons, which should reassure you that you are on the herd path. Be sure to wear a hat of some kind; the path is overgrown in places, and you'll have to duck your head and bull your way through sometimes. I remember that Tom H. got a bad poke in the eye up there a few years ago.

It's one of my favorite hikes.

Definitely avoid Lillian Brook in the Dix Range. I agree that doing the 5 peaks as a string is the way to go (either direction).

Although it can certainly be done with Iroquois, Marshall is usually hiked separately, as the path from the pass to Iroquois is not used much - probably because it's steep (cliffs), and has lots of cripplebush. Iroquois is a good peak to do from Lake Colden (up to the Algonquin-Boundary col), or in conjunction with Algonquin and Wright. Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks alot Raymond, AIG and Mavs,
Appreciate the help! If I seperated Iroquois and Marshall, which would be the best starting point for each. I'd like a nice route to Iroquois without Alqonquin- should I start at the Loj? For Marshall, it appears as though starting at the Upper Works would be best.

Thanks again

Schatz

GPS Coordinates for Dix Range in no particular order

All in UTM - NAD 83

Grace (East Dix):

18T 0599509
UTM 4879889

Hough:

18T 0597871
UTM 4880319

Macomb:

18T 0597716
UTM 4878315

Carson (South Dix):

18T 0598184
UTM 4879264

Sorry - don't have Dix, climbed well before the days of GPS!

KZ

I hiked Marshall from the ADK Loj, but that was in March and I was able to walk on the ice up the middle of Avalanche Lake. To avoid a slow climb over all the boulders that serve as a trail along Avalanche Lake, do both mountains from Upper Works (but if you've never hiked through Avalanche Pass, then do Iroquios via Avalanche Lake). The steep trail up to the Algonquin-Boundary col that begins at Lake Colden is an easy walk from the Herbert Brook herd path for Marshall. -ALG