Hiking in NE Mass or SE NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
My 21 year old daughter has asked me to take her and her boyfriend on a hike soon when my wife & I leave Seabrook, NH after visiting her on our way west (down 495 to the Mass Pike). We don't mind going perhaps 1 hour or so out of our way. I'm tickled that she wants to do this and would like to show them a good time. We don't need a peak, and 3-5 miles in woods is fine. Views are great but not necessarily the goal.

I have no detailed maps of Mass or lower NH so would be looking for both recommendations and directions.

Pawtuckaway State Park in Nottingham, NH is really close. There are three peaks and many trails. I like the north peak best. Here is a URL with directions, a trail description and a link to a trail map.

Pawtuckaway

Another consideration is Mt. Agamenticus near York, Maine. It's civilized, but there are great views of the ocean and White Mountains from the top on a nice day. Any trail to the top will work. My favorite is Vulture's View. Blueberry Bluff is OK, too. Here is a URL that gives general info and a link to a trail map: Mt. Agamenticus

Here is a URL with directions: Agamenticus directions

Either choice is a nice one. Enjoy!
Marty

If you can get a chance to pick up "Hiking New Hampshire" by Larry Pletcher, I think you'll find it's a worthwhile purchase. The book is organized by region so you can find hikes in southeastern NH as well as all other areas of NH. It has all of the hikes mentioned already in this post, and more. This is the book that started me hiking and eventually led me to hiking the 4Ks. It contains a lot of easy, non-summitting hikes as well as hikes to the higher peaks.

Who knows, maybe you can even give it to your daughter as a gift. ;)

Blue Job is too short a hike for your wishes, IMO.

Mount A is too much driving in the wrong way and also too short for your wishes, IMO.

Pawtuckaway is "just right," as a certain fair-haired, trespassing porridge thief would say. Bear Brook State Park would be another possibility I'd consider. And I'd be thinking of the heat and the need for shade in planning this particular hike.

I'll second Squashman's suggestion. The southern end of the Wapack trail can be done as a loop -- up and over Watatic, north to the NH border, and then back on an old road to the parking area. The views from Watatic include Boston, the Blue Hills, Wachusett, Monadnock, and lots of southern NH. On a clear day, you can see the Hancock and Pru towers in Boston to the east and all the way to Greylock in the west.

From I495 you would head west on Rte. 119. And you could stop at Filho's in Groton for amazing Brazilian/Italian food in a little byob bistro (filhoscucina.com).

Pat T

I would also say the Wapck Trail, Watatic is one of my favortite peaks. However Wachusett may be a better/closer hike baased on your travel plans.