Deasey Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
As Roy wrote in a thread a while ago, the firetower/ground house on Deasey Mountain (just east of Baxter State Park) has been renovated, and some work has been done on the access trail. There are two main approaches to the trail: (please note, if dirt roads in general make you nervous, you're probably not going to like either approach)

From Stacyville: Depart I-95 at exit 264 and get on Route 11 South. Follow this into downtown Stacyville (such as it is), and where 11 makes a sharp left to head south to Medway, continue straight ahead, where the road promptly turns to dirt. Please use caution when driving on this road, especially if your car doesn't have much clearance. When I was on this road in early July, they were still in the process of making post-mud season repairs, and it might be in better shape now. What I found was that there were a bunch of stretches that were in really good shape, as well as some bumpier sections that should be driven with care. There were two small streams that overflowed the road (the road surface was still solid underneath), which might have since dried up a bit. You'll be on this road a few miles, and just before it gets rougher and begins its descent down toward the Penobscot River, you'll see a decent looking logging road come in on the left that's barricaded and is signed as "Road Closed." Park here (out of the way of other traffic and without blocking this road), and follow this road down to the East Branch of the Penobscot River. Having not made this walk myself, I don't know exactly how long it is, but estimate it's a mile or two. Once at the river, you'll reach the Whetstone Bridge, which is a fair-sized bridge whose eastern approach was severely washed out over the winter (which is why this road is now closed to vehicular traffic). Once across this bridge, you'll quickly reach a four-way intersection of ATV trails/old narrow logging roads. Turning right at this point will bring you up to the Deasey Mountain Trail.

From Millinocket: In Millinocket, get on Route 157 north heading up to Baxter State Park. You'll pass underneath a railroad trestle, and go by a trailer park on the right. Just beyond, at the town line, Stacyville Road is on the right (just beyond this is a Gulf station). Once on this road, it's a straight shot for about eighteen miles. With the Whetstone Bridge out, I think they've been doing a fair amount of work on this road, as it was in decent shape in the opening miles. At about mile 6-8 you'll come to a fork, where you'll want to bear to the right (which is the branch that's in better shape). Beyond this, you'll come to two four way intersections, both of which you'll drive straight through. After the second one, the road narrows and gets rougher, so great care should be taken, especially in lower cars. Further, there are some rough spots once you get north of Trout Pond that you should watch out for. At about mile 18, you'll get to a T intersection where you have to turn left or right. Go right, and by staying straight at all subsequent intersections, in two miles' time you'll reach the gated bridge over Sandbank Stream. Park here, and once across the bridge, a minute or two later you'll be at a four-way intersection. Turning left here will bring you up to the Deasey Mountain Trail (while going straight will quickly bring you to the western side of the Whetstone Bridge).

For both approaches: From this four-way intersection, it's 5.87 miles as the crow flies to the start of the Deasey trail. During this walk north, you'll cross over four bridges (of varying sizes) and pass in and out of the Wassataquoik section of state public reserve land. When you finally get to the start of the trail, it will be marked with surveyor's tape (which was pretty much the only surveyor's tape I encountered during the six mile walk in). Just beyond the turn for the trail, the old woods road merges in with a stream. To this point, ATV trail pretty much has a smooth ground surface, but once the brook comes in, it becomes noticeably rocky and rough. The start of this rougher section is marked with some yellow caution tape.

Anyway, once turning left onto the access trail for the fire tower, you'll find that it's pretty much a herd path marked here and there with surveyor's tape. Since it isn't heavily used, take care that you don't lose the trail. Some of the blowdowns along the way have been cleared, but others have since dropped into place. What I found is that at most blowdowns, the trail pretty much picks up again once directly on the other side. Halfway up the mountain one comes to the old fire warden's cabin. Once at the summit, obviously there are lovely views to be had from the newly restored ground house, which features a unique view of Mount Katahdin.

Last edited:
I recently made a return trip to Deasey, and found things much changed since I was last there five years ago. These days the best approach route is via Stacyville, as the roads coming in that way have been repaired and the Whetstone and Sandbank Stream Bridges are both open to vehicular traffic. Once one gets on East Branch Road and starts heading north towards Deasey, I found a bunch of large puddles on the road, so I ended up parking back at the intersection with Swift Brook Road. For the six-mile road walk to the base of Deasey, of the four bridges that were there five years ago, only one now remains, the large one over Wassataquoik Stream. In fact, it's difficult to cross Sandbank Stream these days without getting your feet wet, since there is no good place to rock hop. Once at the foot of Deasey, there is now a trail sign, but once on the path, there is minimal marking until you reach the deteriorating warden's cabin. You simply have to know to stay on the main old tote road. Once at the cabin, the IAT comes in from the south, and from there the trail is pretty well marked, as the IAT climbs to within 0.1 of a mile of Deasey's summit before turning north. If you stay on the IAT a little further, in about 1.2 miles it will bring you to the open, scenic ledges on Lunksoos. Just note that this stretch of trail sees little use, and has a few spots where it's unclear at first where the trail is.