Resole Hiking Boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Does anybody have personal experience – good or bad – with resoling hiking boots?

I have a pair of leather boots that fit very well and I’m thinking about having them resoled. I believe the only problem with the boots is the soles are nearly worn out. After three years of fairly heavy use, this is probably the final season I will be able to get from the boots. The uppers show the usual wear and tear to be expected from heavy use but they are still in good shape, and waterproof. I’ve tried to properly maintain the boots through regular cleaning and waterproof treatments.

Can anybody recommend a place to contact for resoling – or places to avoid?

Any first-hand experience with resoling of hiking boots would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:confused:

boots

Hey Earl

I had a pair of leather boots resoled years ago. I, like you, loved the boots but wore the soles out. I had them done and my only complaint was that they were so much heavier with new rubber on them. As you wear them and the soles get smaller (and lighter) you don't notice it. But when you put a half pound to pound on each foot it makes a difference. And there WILL be a new break-in period too.

Thats my 2 cents worth, also I don't know what they get for the soles and labor, but I would suspect for a few more dollars you could get a whole new pair.

Don

Not the best luck...

I have a late-70s pair of classic Raichle full-leather hikers with old-fashioned Vibram Montagnablok (I think that's what they're called) waffle-stomper soles. Somewhere along in the late 80s, I had them resoled, which was fine for a while, but I developed a repeating problem with the sole of one boot detaching at the toe and peeling progressively back. I once came down from a Presi traverse with the whole affair held together with a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands my wife fortunately had in her pack (snaked between the lugs, this worked better than you might think). I have had them reglued a couple times, but it's never been satisfactory.

You might have better luck with a better cobbler -- and I certainly understand not wanting to part with your old boots -- but my experience would suggest that you go this route with reduced expectations.

I had a pair of custom limmers resoled several years ago by the Limmers. They looked nice when I got them back, but as they handed them to me, they said, oh by the way, the boots get narrower everytime they get resoled. They were noticable narrower and I never got used to the tighter width.

Do you have an EMS, REI, MEC, independent gear store nearby? Talk to someone from the shoe department, and ask them who they recommend. They'll probably tell you about this cobler in a hole-in-the-wall store that does good work.

Thanks everybody for the information.

I’m still trying to see how the resole versus replace costs compare. The boots have a replacement cost a little over $200. I’m thinking there may be a significant difference between these costs but don’t know exactly the resole cost. I’m hopeful it is no more than one third the price of an equivalent replacement pair of boots. If this is true, and if I can extend the life of the boots two to three years then it’s probably interesting to me.

I’ll most likely contact the store where I purchased the boots and see if they have a suggestion. I also realize they are in the business of selling boots, not operating a referral service to cobblers. Perhaps the manufacturer may be helpful and I’ll plan to make that contact as well.

From past experience with street shoes, I’m not surprised in the comments concerning the boot getting narrower. I’ve already fine-tuned the fit with after-market foot beds and various socks. I am sure any change within reason can be accommodated. But, I could be wrong.

I have never tried this place but have thought about getting two pair of my favorite hunting boots resoled by them. I have read about this place a few times over the years and they seem to be very reputable. I believe Backpacker magazine had an article on them a while back. The link is http://www.rmresole.com/index.htm

I had a set of combat boots resoled when I was in the military and they're still holding great to this day. I'd have no reservations about doing it again, but infrequently wear anything that heavy...except in winter. I remember the cost being cheap as it's easy to resole boots, but there is a serious knack to it to get it right.

I took my Danner winter boots to a local cobbler several years ago when I stuck them with my crampons, right through the leather twice (long hike, pushed too hard, got clumsy, etc). He was able to patch them to the point the patch is barely noticeable, so they have some amazing stuff at their disposal.

Most of the old cobblers have gone out of business or passed away, but there is a guy in Brunswick Maine that I've used recently. He's younger (in his late 40's), and has all the old equipment of the day (old jigs, machines, and odd looking tools), including knowledge, to do just about anything. I can find his card if you're interested.

There is also a cobbler that just setup shop in my hometown, I'll see if I can get some info on him.

I remember the resoles cost around $40 when I asked about them a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Here's another vote for resoling.

I had Fabianos in the 70s that I resoled twice, and was happy each time, no bad experiences. I'm sure the guy is gone now (he was gettin' on back then), but he absolutely looked the part: old shop, lots of worn wood surfaces, lots of weird-looking tools, a little cluttered, business done with a shoe-tag & a memory, and a real love for journeyman work.

These days, I'm a Limmer customer.

I had a pair of Raichle's that I kept alive for about 20 years and re-soled them twice. The place that did it for me isn't around anymore, but I've also heard that http://www.rmresole.com/ does good work.
I think a lot depends on how the soles were originally fastened on. My old Raichle's had a norwegian welt and were stitched on. A lot of newer boots are glued, which wouldn't lend itself to an easy repair.

Pete_Hickey said:
Do you have an EMS, REI, MEC, independent gear store nearby? Talk to someone from the shoe department, and ask them who they recommend. They'll probably tell you about this cobler in a hole-in-the-wall store that does good work.

Speaking of hole in the wall check out this place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?safe=on...+NY&fb=1&view=text&latlng=1325618535771110282

Two generations of family ownership. I've only had minor repairs done but I like the guy. I don't think he is is close to you.

Resole? Yes!

I've had my Merrell Wildernesses resoled twice by the Onion River Cobbler in Winooksi, Vermont. (When he resoled them the first time, he also lined the inside of the heel with leather after the fabric in the heelcup wore out.)

It's such a wonderful feeling when you pick them up, like seeing a old and dear friend restored to good health.

Go for it! (But, as others have mentioned, make sure it is a very good cobbler!)

I had some faithful old boots (Danners) that I had resoled twice.
The first time worked out fine, but after the second repair, they no longer fit right.
I suppose it could have been the cobbler, but I'm more inclined to blame myself.
I was too unwilling to give up on my favorite boots that were too far gone. :eek:

Thanks everyone for all the help. I feel that I’m making progress.

I have contacted the store where I purchased the boots. They suggested I contact the manufacturer. That seemed reasonable since they sell quite a range of footwear products representing a large number of manufacturers. And, different manufacturers have different services available.

I contacted the manufacturer and learned they have three boot repair shops they recommend in North America.

Rocky Mountain Resole
http://www.rmresole.com/

Resole America
http://www.resole.com/

Dave Page, Cobbler
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

The manufacturer claims these shops all have the proper replacement soles, necessary special equipment, and know-how to do a quality job.

Since none of these are local shops, they are all the same distance away. In other words, they all involve a trip to the Post Office. Does anybody have experience with any of these folks?

I have not compared prices yet but probably a positive referral will mean more to me than saving a few dollars.

Dave Page resoled my Merrell Wildernesses (absolutely, absolutely love them, don't give a hoot how heavy they are!) through REI twice. Worked very well. But three things happened then: 1) my feet grew, or spread, as I got older; 2) the leather just plain wore out; 3) each time you resole, the size shrinks ever so slightly. So, that was all. But it was about 15 good years!

I favor resoling generally, because it seems that in an effort to save money or whatever, overall new boot quality decreases with time across the board.
One thing I haven't done is look at Limmers. Maybe worth it someday when I have enough $.

Weatherman

I've heard good things about Dave Page. Also, Peter Limmer would probably work on them. Here's an article about the Onion River Cobbler, Steve Hopkins.

I've heard from a couple of people about boot shrinking, but I've never had that experience. I can see that happening if they need to re-stitch the welt, but just for a resole--I'm surprised.

Here is a listing from the Sierra Club listing Dave Page (WA), Steve Komito (CO), and The Cobbler and Cordwainer (NY). I have heard good things about the first two, but have dealt with none of them.

http://www.sierraclub.org/e-files/boot_repair.asp

I had a pair of Fabianos (Norwegian welt, bought 1971) resoled, but they were never as good as with the original sole. The inner soles were damaged and the cobbler was unable to keep their shape.

Judging by the date, your boots were probably Norwegian welt which can be resoled--not all constructions can be.

Doug

I haven't tried resoling but did have my boots repaired at a cobbler when some stitching came undone. The service was good, quick, and inexpensive. I would go back to this place if I were in your situation. It is located in Hampton, NH and is called "The Hammer and The Last".

324 Lafayette Rd Hampton, NH 03842
(603) 929-0720

Note that one of the things I was implying when I said to talk to places selling boots, is the value of a LOCAL cobbler. Many years ago, I had a pair of boots that I loved. I brought them to a guy for re-soling, and he looked, poked, bent, twisted, etc. Then he told me that it may not be worth it. Just a number of small things, adding up. To get that kind of feedback before was important, and you will not get it if you have to mail them off for the job.