Scar Ridge (West, Mid, East Scar) traverse from Loon 7/19/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
We (Eric, Dave & I) left 1 car at East Pond (Kanc), 1 car at the Discovey TH (for a bailout if needed) and started at Loon Mtn. At 8am we started up the wrong road - but it looked ok on the GPS!!! After traipsing around the slopes, we finally found the right tractor path. It was starting to get hot and it was already pretty humid.

Around 10am we got to North Peak. We went around .1mi down from N Peak and took a right - thick in there!!! But it soon thinned out and before long we found the well-maintained herd path, fire ring, etc. The path seems to lead to Black Mtn but we took it towards the col for at least a half mile and enjoyed the ease of our journey!!!

Soon it got a little nasty when we were past the col and heading to W Scar, but it was still manageable. We hit the first bump (WW Scar) which had a canister! The second one (E W Scar) also did. We were in there around noon. Not bad! Very reasonable!

Then, we headed off along the ridge to Middle Scar. Coming off the summit we hit a large blow-down area aka "Christmas Tree Hell" - traversing rotted blowdowns and hugging wet (but soft!!!) fir trees at a crawl pace. We tried not to look down b/c there was no ground that we could see!!!! Once in a while someone would fall through the sort of spruce trap hell and then claw back up onto the blowdowns. We seemed to hit these areas on the descents.

And the ridge was a mix of those large areas of elevated soaking/rotting blowdown with crawling up through rocks and blowdowns with the occasional more-open area (hooray!!!!). We did, however, have occaisional views of the ridge ahead - everything looked so close! Around 2pm the thunder and lightning blew overhead bringing with it the occasional downpours. But, the rain didn't matter b/c we were soaked anyway. I was thankful the branches, so wet and soggy, were easy to bend!!!

After hours of mixed terrain and then the impending sundown, we hit East Scar's main, flat peak and decided not to hit the lower East Scar and gun it for the East Pond trail before sundown. We gave up looking for that canister and then, Eric spotted it!!!! The papers were too flimsy to sign in the dampness, so we didn't bother.

Finally got back to the car around 8:45 pm - it was getting pretty dark!!! Yeah! I'm shocked at the bruises that keep showing up that I don't remember getting!

All in all, a good day with great company! Won't be going back for a while!!! We wondered, though, with such poor visibility of the peaks how people have traversed the ridge with just a compass & map (before the days of GPS's!!!)?

--Becca Munroe

Good Job, that's a tough ridge.

There are actually really good open dead on views of Owl's head and the Bonds on The [Westernmost East] - Middle Scar bump (closest bump to middle that is east of middle). Who says scar ridge has no views? :) http://www.hoosactunnel.net/adventure/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3288

That mess east of E Scar is probably the worst stuff I have ever been through. Lots of Spruce Gremlins... Ugh

Yes it is I, the Dave that Becca refers to in her report.
Good opportunity for me to reply - I haven't posted in almost two years!!!

So, I keep asking myself 'what was I thinking' when I agreed to this trip. Been working on my second round of the Hundred Highest so when this 'opportunity' came up I first thought 'it couldn't be that bad' but it was :eek: it was!!

Guess all three of us have the scars (!), the check mark, and the experience that makes this ridge so notorious.

My thanks to Becca and Eric.

Becca M said:
We wondered, though, with such poor visibility of the peaks how people have traversed the ridge with just a compass & map (before the days of GPS's!!!)?
Possibly the woods weren't as thick 30 years ago. Dick Stevens led most/all of the way but once Gus zipped up to correct a bad bearing, I hung out at the back with Tom Sawyer and didn't lead at all.

RoySwkr said:
Possibly the woods weren't as thick 30 years ago.

Even 18-20 years ago, the Scar Ridge woods weren't as thick, as I've been assured by family members who (in different combinations) traversed it twice, working on the NHHH list (which seems to be the only reason anyone goes up there.) It is possible even now to reach the west summit bump of Scar Ridge West (the one on the NEHH list, although opinions differ on which of its two summit bumps should be considered official) from Loon without encountering anything very thick, if you're lucky (but that is a tale that has been told here before).