Allagash River Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for books on the Allagash to do a kayak trip, probably next fall sometime.

Most of the people I know who have done this trip did it back in the 70's, and I understand there have been a number of changes in policy and camping.

This is one of those trips that has been on the back burner for about 30 years, and I would really like to accomplish it sooner, rather than later.

I have both the Maine River Guide and the Quiet Water of Maine books, but looking for more of a 'guide' book for the Allagash itself if one exists.

Thanks.

:)

Ten of us paddled the 61 miles from Churchill Dam to the St. John over Memorial Day weekend in 2006. You can find my detailed TR on RoT, and it has a lot of the type of information you seek. As to books, the AMC Maine Paddling Guide had decent information but probably most useful, because most detailed and up to date, was the Northern Forest Canoe Trail map for that section (the reverse side of which has much interesting text and photos).

Amicus,

Apparently I read your TR back then also!

Short term memory I suppose... :eek:

Are you still planning a trip for this September?

I think I will try to start gearing up and reading up on this for September of '09. I didn't even manage to get my kayak wet last year, and have not had an opportunity yet this year either. :(

This weekend though, rain or shine, sleet or snow (I wish) buddies or not, I am paddeling! :)

Thanks for your detailed trip report neighbor!

;)

chinooktrail said:
I think I will try to start gearing up and reading up on this for September of '09.

One of my paddling friends spent a September week on the Allagash lakes and River a decade or so ago and still raves about that trip - no bugs, hardly any other paddlers and some early foliage. The downside could be low water and some attendant bumping, as Lawn Sale notes, although that would be less of an issue with a kayak, I suppose (which would require you to travel more lightly than would a canoe). You can check water levels in advance through on-line gauges, as I recall.

I won't be getting back up there this year. We'll see about '09. It's a wonderful River.

Gil Gilpatrick, a Maine Guide with lot's of experience on the Allagash, has a book on the Allagash, make that two. One is a history of the area, the other I presume reveals a lot of information not generally found in the typical guides. I believe he has a "special" offer for both books and a map (Delorme?) of the trip for $35. Worth the investment if you're planning this trip. http://gilgilpatrick.com/self-guide.html

Last edited: