Online web picture sites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Essentially the same question got quite a response a while back. Here's the thread.

It is located in the VFTT Exposure - Nature Photography forum.

There are a few good choices. Good luck.

;)

arghman said:
that link doesn't seem to work....

Sorry. :eek: The thread is in the Exposure - Nature Photography forum. This forum requires a group membership, which is managed in the User Control Panel under Group Memberships.

Picasa has my vote!

I use picasa, from the Google people. Lots of room for pics, you can easily add captions (and it saves often, so you don't lose all your captions if you mess up and switch to another page), you can easily and graphically re-organize your pics, easily select an album cover, etc. You also have a LOT of room for pics.

Works like a charm!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/dpoisson

Fish

BIGEarl said:
Sorry. :eek: The thread is in the Exposure - Nature Photography forum. This forum requires a group membership, which is managed in the User Control Panel under Group Memberships.
FWIW, I am in the group, logged in, and it still demands that I log in to view it. (I didn't try, so I don't know if re-logging in would work.)

Doug

One issue that isn't mentioned very often, is who owns the picture albums. If a website changes policy or closes down, how hard is it for one to extract one's albums to move them elsewhere?

At this point, I use the webserver that comes with my ISP account (unfortunately limited to 10MB). I build the master copy of the albums on my personal machine and copy them to the server. Thus I can move elsewhere by simple copying.

Doug

Yet another thread on this subject at the ADK high peaks forums. In this thread there is a discussion about performance issues with some photo sites. I use webshots, and I am generally very happy. However, free accounts at webshots do encounter advertising on each web page. That does slow down performance when you browse galleries one photo at a time. However, the slide show function bypasses all of that. And so I find the performance of webshots free accounts to be generally very good. Webshots also makes hot linking photos into forum posts very easy.

Some photo sites tend to be blocked by corporate servers. You may want to test to see which you can access from work if that is a concern.

For those still using Phanfare, other than the issues that popped up with some changes, How do you like it? I have Picassa. How about Smugmug? I have heard some positives from the users on this and other forums.

DougPaul said:
FWIW, I am in the group, logged in, and it still demands that I log in to view it. (I didn't try, so I don't know if re-logging in would work.)

Doug

FWIW, I'm in the group, logged in, and when I click on the link the thread opens in a new window. :rolleyes:

BIGEarl said:
FWIW, I'm in the group, logged in, and when I click on the link the thread opens in a new window. :rolleyes:
Same thing that happened to Doug happened to me. Something doesn't like direct links to threads in dependent forums.

vBulletin user group thread link quirk

DougPaul said:
BIGEarl said:
This is a quirk of vBulletin (links to user group forum threads). If you have not manually logged in recently, you will need to login again to access that link -- even if you normally stay logged in. I have seen this phenomena with VFTT and other vBulletin forum site user groups. After you login again the thread will display (provided you are signed up via the User Control panel). FWIW when I clicked Earl's link a second time, I got into the thread immediately. No surprise I had just manually logged in.

edit: Thanks for the cookie explanation, Tim, Eric, and Michael.

Last edited:
Phanfare has seen the light and gone back to allowing its users to have albums open to the public. I personally would not recommend them based upon my experience with them... my personal experience dealing with their customer service has been extremely negative. (I got several rude and contradictory letters from the CEO himself.) Just be aware, if you decide to pay them money they don't have any scruples about making wholesale changes to what you paid for.

Also, I am having a heck of a time getting my account canceled (though I assume they will delete it the minute I don't pay the fee when my subscription expires.) It is too bad that the company is run the way it is, as I think the format of their site is one of the best ones out there.

I now use smugmug and I'm generally pretty happy. I don't like the layout as much as phanfare and customizing is more complicated. However, I like the way the slideshows work and customer service has been amazingly responsive and terrific. (I've gotten a response to my questions within an hour and even when they couldn't give me exactly what I wanted they were friendly and polite about it.) I would feel a lot more comfortable giving that company money.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Personally, I like it when other people use Picasa because then we can browse their photos on the big TV using the TiVo.
:)

Mark Schaefer said:
This is a quirk of vBulletin (links to user group forum threads). If you have not manually logged in recently, you will need to login again to access that link -- even if you normally stay logged in. I have seen this phenomena with VFTT and other vBulletin forum site user groups. After you login again the thread will display (provided you are signed up via the User Control panel).

It's not just vBulletin; it's all websites. The issue has to do with cookies. Say you login at "www.vftt.org". The cookies are stored in your browser under the domain "www.vftt.org". However, if you visit simply "vftt.org" (same website but without the "www"), you're no longer logged in, because your cookies are stored under a different domain.

Cookies stored under a specific domain get sent with a HTTP request if and only if the domain of which the request was made matches.

poison ivy said:
Phanfare has seen the light and gone back to allowing its users to have albums open to the public. I personally would not recommend them based upon my experience with them... my personal experience dealing with their customer service has been extremely negative. (I got several rude and contradictory letters from the CEO himself.) Just be aware, if you decide to pay them money they don't have any scruples about making wholesale changes to what you paid for.

Also, I am having a heck of a time getting my account canceled (though I assume they will delete it the minute I don't pay the fee when my subscription expires.) It is too bad that the company is run the way it is, as I think the format of their site is one of the best ones out there.

I now use smugmug and I'm generally pretty happy. I don't like the layout as much as phanfare and customizing is more complicated. However, I like the way the slideshows work and customer service has been amazingly responsive and terrific. (I've gotten a response to my questions within an hour and even when they couldn't give me exactly what I wanted they were friendly and polite about it.) I would feel a lot more comfortable giving that company money.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

- Ivy

Not only what she said, but also this. The old uploader application they had was hands-down the best. The new one doesn't work at all. Their old web-browser uploader was ok, the new one is frustrating to use.

Avoid Phanfare. Smugmug has it's quirks too, but there seems to be a large community of nerds working on third party apps for it and it gets better all the time.

the_swede said:
It's not just vBulletin; it's all websites. The issue has to do with cookies. Say you login at "www.vftt.org". The cookies are stored in your browser under the domain "www.vftt.org". However, if you visit simply "vftt.org" (same website but without the "www"), you're no longer logged in, because your cookies are stored under a different domain.

Not necessarily true. Any site host.domain.com can set a cookie of .domain.com which then applies to all servers under that domain. But if it specifically sets host.domain.com then the cookie only works with that host.

Just take a look at the cookies in your browser to see this. You'll see entries like
.ebay.com
.newegg.com
.nytimes.com
.boston.com
etc...

The vBulletin software can be configured to only set cookies for .vftt.org which then would apply whether or not you arrived with "www" in the address.