Online web picture sites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using Picasa for a while, but recently shelled out the money to go to SmugMug. I like the controls a lot better and the customizing. I also made the move for monetary reasons since I am able to start charging for my prints when I actually get good enough and have the following to do so. The customer service has been great to me so far and have responded very quickly to me when I have a question. Oh, and I like being able to password protect galleries if I don't want everyone in the public looking through them yet it does still show up in my public listing.

MichaelJ said:
Not necessarily true. Any site host.domain.com can set a cookie of .domain.com which then applies to all servers under that domain. But if it specifically sets host.domain.com then the cookie only works with that host.

Just take a look at the cookies in your browser to see this. You'll see entries like
.ebay.com
.newegg.com
.nytimes.com
.boston.com
etc...

The vBulletin software can be configured to only set cookies for .vftt.org which then would apply whether or not you arrived with "www" in the address.
Sorry, you're right. My own personal site has the same problem. Perhaps I should go in and modify it now.

I think vBulletin is written in PHP, so in that case, it probably implements setcookie() to apply the set-cookie field to the response header. The "domain" argument for setcookie() says that ".vftt.org" would apply the cookie to all subdomains. So I'm sure if anyone is up for the challenge, they can dig through the source code, find where the cookies are set and then modify it such that cookies are set under all subdomains.

the_swede said:
So I'm sure if anyone is up for the challenge, they can dig through the source code, find where the cookies are set and then modify it such that cookies are set under all subdomains.

Or just go to the Admin CP, vBulletin Options, Cookies and HTTP Header Options.
:)