Coordinates of trailheads?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread SherpaK writes:
My favorite use for it: finding trailheads. I can't stand getting lost while driving to the trailhead.
Is there any interest in a list of coordinates of trailheads? I have just ordered a GPS for use in locating CoHPs that are not summits (we call them "liners", often corrupted to "leaners"), and I might, over the next few months, collect as many trailhead coordinates as I can.

Re: CoHPing - A fine line of work, if you can get it

Tramper Al said:
Mohamed: So, are we going on the same hike June 12th?
I hope so, though I have not heard back from the organizer.

Where did you pick up the term "GPSR"? I realize fully that "GPS" refers to the Global Positioning System as a whole, and that I have neither the money nor the knowledge to operate it. All I have bought is a GPS Receiver, which a few people refer to as a GPSR.

Mohamed,
I mark a waypoint for most of the bushwhack "trailheads", or in unfamiliar areas. A few actual trailheads where that has (or would have:confused:) helped me are: Abraham (ME), Breadloaf (VT), Tumbledown (ME), Equinox (VT), Davis Neighborhood Trail (VT), Mt Success Trail (NH) (that one is always tough to find!).

I would think that as new versions of the AMC Guides come out, more will carry trailhead waypoints. For now, anytime I'm away from NH, I mark them. If I get confused, the GPSR goes on, and I get there faster.

Catskill Trailheads, junctions, lean-to's & Springs

I have digitized the trail heads, trail junctions, Lean-to's and and springs for the Catskills from the NY-NJ trail conference maps. The few that I have checked are all within 200'. They are all saves as waypoints in Topografix .loc format.

If you are visiting trailheads for GPS coordinates, how about making up a list of fee sites, which is a common question (and not available from the FS)

Speaking of which, I must need new glasses as it appears that fees have been removed from some trailheads