Panther Gorge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
My friends and I are heading up to Panther Gorge over the memorial day weekend. What is the lean-to like? How bout swimming in Marcy Brook - is it possible (other then the obvious temperature)? Thanks!

peace
Oysterhead

Enjoy!

The lean-to is very nice and fairly new. If you go upstream a hundred yards or so, there is a very nice pool at the base of a small drop which is perfect for swimming - temperatures permitting! Panther Gorge is beautiful.

Ron

Jon is my son, the one who got me started on all this.

The trip to Panther Gorge was his idea, back in 2002, his last trip as a Boy Scout, before going off to college. We went in from Upper Works, stayed at Uphill Brook LT, then up to Lake Tear, climbed Skylight, then down into Panther Gorge, stayed at the LT for 2 nights, did Haystack on day 3, out via Marcy Swamp and Elk Lake day 4. It was a great trip, for Scoutmaster Tom and me, and the boys.

Ron/John -

How is the hike from Panther Gorge to Elk Lake? We're going to hike into the gorge that way in August.

MD Cuse

MD Cuse said:
Ron/John -

How is the hike from Panther Gorge to Elk Lake? We're going to hike into the gorge that way in August.

MD Cuse

The hike is rather long, around 9 miles from the Gorge to Elk Lake. And you have to climb over the Blake/Pinnacle ridge which is around 700 feet up and down. The section closest to the Gorge was one of the muddiest trails I have ever seen. The scenery is nice though. The lean-to was built in 1990 to replace an old floorless one.

The hike from the Gorge to Elk Lake is one of my favorite low-landers. Marcy swamp is a beautiful site, and the terrain in general makes it an easy hike. Pinnacle offers a great view of Elk Lake if you have the time to do a side trip. Twas a bit buggy last time I was there though. Head nets!

-percious

Ron - very interesting. My two friends and I are hiking in from Elk Lake next friday. Plan on doing Marcy and Skylight on saturday and Sawteeth, Gothics, Saddleback, Basin, and Haystack on sunday.

This is our last trip together while school is still in session. We're going again between the end of classes and graduation and then several times between graduation and when we have to be at college for freshman orientation.

peace
Oysterhead

Oysterhead - Sounds like a great trip you have planned. While you are at it you might as well hop up Gray when you do Skylight & Marcy - it is a quick and easy trip from Lake Tear.

I am intrigued by your second day plans. I don't have my map in front of me here at work. Are you going to cut over from Panther Gorge around the Ausable lakes to get to Sawteeth and swing back over the range? Or do it in the opposite direction with Haystack first?

Anyway, have fun and definitely post a trip report.

Mike

MD Cuse

Mike - we talked about doing Gray, but sort of decided against it (thought not definetly) because the day before is a long one with full packs and the day after is really long, that and we wanna go swimming. haha.

As for the second day - we're going to cut down to Lower Ausable Lake, then climb the backside of Sawteeth. From there its over Pyramid to Gothics, then back up the range to Panther Gorge. The trail from Panther Gorge to LAL has like a 1,000' elevation loss, followed by that plus more in gain going up Sawteeth so we figured we'd get that out of the way early in the day.

peace
Oysterhead

Oyster -

I am going to check out tha map when I get home tonight because that sounds like a great loop on Sunday. The hike from Sawteeth to Pyramid and Gothics is AWESOME. Of course Saddleback, Basin, and Haystack aren't too shabby either.

When we go in later this summer we're planning to do Elk Lake to Panther Gorge on day 1. Haystack, Marcy, Gray, Skylight on day 2. Hike back out on day 3. If I can squeeze another day out there your loop might be a good fit.

I finished all 46 high peaks a couple years ago and have hiked all over the area but never made it down into Panther Gorge. I cannot wait to get there later this summer.

Mike

MD Cuse

Mike - it looks like it's gonna be a blast. As I said before, the biggest downside to the whole route is that you climb a few hundred feet up Haystack, drop 1,000' down to LAL, then climb 1,500'+ to the summit of Sawteeth. That and the length (16+ miles) will make it a rough day.

We got the idea because we wanted to hike over Memorial Day (our high school has a 4 day weekend this year) and we wanted to repeat the Great Range. Last summer the other guy on this trip and I climbed the whole range (except Marcy) from the Howard LT near JBL. We had a foggy day when we did Saddleback>Haystack so we wanted to repeat that.

Panther Gorge offered a new route and a much better change of solitude then going back into the valley for Memorial Day. that and less chance of losing food to bears (we're bringing cannisters anyway).

We looked at doing what you're gonna be doing on your second day but it was voted down. Being teenagers, sleeping in is a huge plus, so we can do that on our second day and still have plenty of time to climb Marcy and Skylight. Our third day gets Haystack, and we still might do Gray on the second day depending on when we get going and how we're feeling. The hike in is a long one so we're expecting to be wiped. Good luck getting that 4th day off.

On a totaly seperate and much more irrelevant, the other guy i'm hiking with is going to SU next year (myself and the girl whos coming with us are both going to St. Lawrence). thought you'd enjoy that what with your name and all.

peace
Oysterhead

I didn't go to SU (I went to RIT up your way) but have lived here just about all my life and am a huge SU hoops fan.

Within the same year I finished my 46 in the fall and then was in New Orleans watching the Cuse win the championship in the spring.

Your friend will have a good time here. If you like basketball make sure to come down and visit him for a weekend game.

Mike

MD Cuse

I may have to head down there. I'll make sure I post a report sometime in the week after memorial day.

peace,
Oysterhead

The bushwack to the Pinnacle from the Elk-Lake- Marcy trail is great. Woods on the way to the first bump are beautiful. You have the feeling in much of the area that you are the first or one of the first to have ever been along there. The route from the "bump" to the Pinnacle can be "interesting". Views from the Pinnacle and surrounding ridge are among the most impressive in the Adirondacks.

Be aware that cutting over to the Upper Ausable Lake from the Elk Lake trail, and the trails around the Upper Lake are mostly private and off limits to non-AMR members. I would avoid this without being an AMR guest.

The trail that runs from Panther Gorge over Bartlett Ridge then on to the Warden's Camp as well as the trail from the Warden's Camp to Sawteeth are both marked as public on the latest ADK map. Has something changed Peakbagr?

peace
Oysterhead