Just looking for some outside suggestions!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirobdack

Reaction score
I'm planning a 3-5 (most likely 4) day hike by myself in the High Peaks in mid June. I've done about six peaks and I'm looking for a good route to take. I'm can usually bag 1-2 peaks in a day depending on length of hike and severity of the mountain. My pace up and down Cascade (this time without snow) was about 3 hours and it did rain. I'm slow and steady and I appreciate the scenery more than just bagging the peak. So if anyone has any suggestions I'll all ears. I was thinking of hitting Marcy,Skylight, Haystack and Basin. I was trying to save the rest of the Great range to bring a friend in that's new to the peaks. I've done Wright, Colvin, Porter, Cascade,Phelps and Redfield so far (odd mix I know. Basically wondering if anyone else had some great combo's to do.

Hike midweek into the Howard Lean-to in the Johns Brook Valley from the Garden. It's located just above the DEC Interior Outpost between the trail and Johns Brook. Can't miss it. The next day climb Gothics via the Ore-Bed Brook Trail then go over Armstrong and Upper Wolfjaw and return to the lean-to. Day 3 - climb either Haystack and Marcy OR Saddleback, Basin, and Haystack from the LT. Day 4 - hike out.

peace
Oysterhead

If I had to spend five days out there I would do the following:

Day 1 hike into Lake Colden (with a bear container) and if you get there early enough nab Colden or Marshall.
Day 2 Since you already have Wright, you mind as well grab Algonquin and Iroquois, and then relax for the rest of the day down in Colden.
Day 3 Move camp over to either 4 corners or Panther Gorge, and you can grab Skylight and/or Grey on the way.
Day 4 Hike over Marcy (Pack should be pretty light at this point and out towards Marcy Dam via Vanhoevenburg.
Day 5 Hike phelps, or hike out.

This is kind of a tough hike, but you would get alot of peaks, and most of your climbing is done in the morning, leaving the afternoons to lolly-gag. Plus you can say you carried a full pack over Marcy :).

I hiked Marcy, Skylight, Haystack, and Basin from slant rock in one day. That one's a doozy. Have fun.

-percious

If you follow percious's plan - be aware that camping is illegal at Four Corners because of the DEC Elevation rules. No camping above 4,000' and only camping in designated sites above 3,500'.

peace
Oysterhead

Good call Oysterhead. I have never stayed there myself, only noticed that there was a nice campsite there. Four corners is about 4000 feet, so I guess Panther Gorge is the next best option. The Gorge is beautiful, and has a good swimming hole. This also gives you the option of hiking over Haystack instead of Marcy, but the South side (of Haystack) is hairy. I have only hiked it once with a full pack, and it was not fun. You could also base camp out of Panther, and then daypack for a couple days there before hiking out.

Feldspar Lean To

You could always stay at Feldspar Lean to along the Opulescent river, I think it's less than 2 miles from Marcy's summit.