Remembering on Mt. Washington, 7/26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Mount Washington has been special to me for many years, forty to be exact. In 1968, it was my first hike at age five. My dad, my older sister and I hiked up the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the summit. I remember it being a clear day, and I also remember having lunch in the lawn above the headwall. We had a canvas Boy Scout pack and we carried our water in an aluminum four-quart canteen that was carried with a neck strap. Thankfully, hiking equipment has evolved to include plastic bottles and water bladders.

As a reward for reaching the summit, my dad bought me a Cog Railway wallet, which I still have. Several years ago, after my grandfather passed away, we were sorting through the things he saved over the years and came across a post card we sent to my grandparents from the summit. The postcard, and the wallet, are stored safely, reminders of my first hike.

Fast forward forty years to last Saturday. Eric and I left Boston about 4:00AM - about the time the folks at Bearly Live were getting to bed :D - for the drive to Pinkham to meet up for the annual Paul Perry Memorial Hike. Paul was a Massachusetts State Trooper who was killed in the line of duty in February of 1995. Paul's family organizes the hike each year, and I have been hiking with them for about ten years. Eric has been on six hikes with this group. This was the fourteenth annual hike, and it seems that more people attend every year. That is quite a testament to Paul and his family.

This year, seventy-eight hikers met in the parking lot. Remarkably, fifty-four hikers would reach the summit. Our group of about 15 hiked up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, to the Lion Head junction. The skies were clear, and we soon got some great views through the trees. We move right along the Lion Head trail, up the ladder (I hate the ladder) and soon moved out of the trees. The views were fantastic. You don't often get such clear days on the rock pile. We took a lunch break on Lion Head, and I leaned over the ledge and took a few pictures of the Hermit Lake area and the trail as it works toward the headwall.

As we neared the summit, Mark began to get some leg cramps and had to take some breaks. I sent Eric up with the rest of the group to the summit and I hung with Mark, working our way up a few steps at a time. I was in the same position last year, so I knew just how he felt. Just as we approached the Auto Road, I saw a small black dog and asked if it was Emma. Emma was followed by Kevin and Judy, of VFTT fame, who were hiking the Seek the Peak event. It's always nice to meet VFTT'ers on the trails. We went up the stairs (I hate the stairs) and met our group inside. Eric was in line for food, in particular a Whoopie pie. Don't ask, I don't know.

Reaching the summit was like going home again. My count shows that I have hiked to the summit with about fifty different people over the years. Despite the crowds, I find it to be a magical place. Much has happened at the summit over the years, and I enjoy looking at the old photos and just taking the whole experience.

We descended the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, which was packed with hikers going in both directions. It was a busy day on the mountain. Below the Alpine Garden junction, the trail was mostly water. We stopped here for a moment, where several years ago after my dad died, Eric and I buried some of his hiking gear. I like to take a few minutes here to remember him. He loved this mountain, he passed that love on to me, as I have passed it on to my son, Eric.

There were beautiful waterfalls coming over the headwall. Some snow lingered in the bowl, and Carol, Linda and Beth went to investigate. The snow looked to be about four feet deep. The remainder of the hike passed uneventfully. We did pass a hiker who was having knee problems and gave him some duct tape to stabilize his knee. I don't think I would have wanted to be there when he took the tape off :eek:

We once again had a great time with Carol and her family and friends, and we truly appreciate them inviting us each year. We are already planning on being there next year.

Pics from the trip

Bobby,

Very nice job of connecting some old memories to some new ones. You're doing a great job of passing the torch to Eric.

Nice pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Is the memorial hike always held on Seek the Peak weekend or was this a coincidence?

Earl

Bobby-

Great TR and pix, thanks for sharing. Eric really looks like he enjoys hiking with you, keep it up. And what a beautiful day you all had.

Maybe we can do Washington some day and add me to your list ;)

Oh- one thing- were those cotton T-Shirts you guys were wearing? :eek: -- JUST KIDDING!!

BIGEarl said:
Is the memorial hike always held on Seek the Peak weekend or was this a coincidence?Earl

It's just a coincidence...the memorial is usually on the last Saturday in July.

Tuco said:
Oh- one thing- were those cotton T-Shirts you guys were wearing?

Not this year! Many polyesters sacrificed their lives for those shirts :D

Bobby, great shots (especially the one of you and Eric) from what's clearly a bittersweet hike. It says a lot that so many people still do it after all those years, and for you and Eric it's even more special. He's a lucky son to be able to share that kind of experience with you, and it's something he'll remember down the road.

A beautiful day, well shown by your photos. The group looks remarkably happy and "unexhausted" given the route and the weather. Must be some tough hikers you hang out with! Nice to see that they waited up for you. :D