News Article: Sky's the Limit for 5-Year-Old Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rad

that is so awesome!! almost makes me want to have kids (almost)!

"Some very hard hikes she might cry once or twice, like when it gets dark… 95 percent of the time or more she loves it,"

sounds kind of like someone i hike with (gooly)!

Well...I can certainly relate to this story.
My son Arlo climbed his first 4000 footer in the Daks, CASCADE, as he just turned 4. The next day he climbed Mt. JO. Since then He has climbed Hunter, Slide, Balsam Lake, Black Dome and BlackHead in the Catskills. Plus Bear Mountain in Harriman, plus a few Fire Towers (Sterling Forest among them) and numerous other Hikes to high places further South..Anthony's Nose etc...A few of them on Snowshoes. He has his own custom made Gossamer Gear hiking poles and his "special" hiking clothes and boots etc.

He is now bugging me :D to climb Windham High Peak..
He is now 5 years and 3 months old.

It is thrilling for me to see how much he enjoys it.

He really only had one bad day when he told me 1/3 of the way through the day that his legs were sleeping!

His Little Brother "Jaco" has been up a few peaks already, carried, as he is only 10 months old. Arlo started the same way. On my back.

I do wish they'd had a few more direct quotes from the girl saying how much she loved hiking, but if she does, and they're careful not to let her over-do it, I think it's wonderful.

It always makes me happy to see parents out on the trail with little kids - gold stars to all of you!

My goal for finishing the NH 48 4K list is to climb Jackson for #48 with my 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son (Each their 1st 4K.) They did Sunapee a few weeks back at 6 miles and 1900' so Jackson should be well within their reach. It's been fun holding that out as a goal and they are both excited about the attempt.

Of course, I need a few nice weekend days between now and then to get the other 7 I need done :mad:

Tim

"
Some very hard hikes she might cry once or twice, like when it gets dark… 95 percent of the time or more she loves it,"

sounds kind of like someone i hike with (gooly)!

C'mon mookie...I only cried a couple of times...everyone knows i'm ascared of the dark... and very hard hikes...and circus clowns