Hiker mistaken for a bear shot and killed in Wa.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the reporting is accurate, then what a bizarre trial!

First it says the Judge "ruled that the teen's actions were a 'gross deviation' from what a reasonable 14-year-old hunter would do..." Oh really, what is the standard for the mythical 'reasonable 14-YO hunter?'

Then it says the Judge "acquitted the boy of the more serious charge, finding he didn't act recklessly. But she says it wasn't a hunting accident." How could he have not been reckless? He shot a person! And, it wasn't an accident? You mean he did it intentionally...?

Even more insane - "The boy's defense attorney said 'At the moment he took the shot, he knew it was a bear.'" "And his older brother said, 'Indeed, it was a bear.'"

Apparently, the participants in this trial were from another planet.:confused:

Shame on WA. for not amending some of it's laws...I'm sorry but 14 is too young to be running around the woods w/ a .270...w/ no adult supervision. And why oh why wouldn't a hiker wear blaze orange during hunting season....2major screw-ups led to a real tragedy.

excuse me...who are you say a 14 yr old needs adult supervision...bought my 1st 270 at age 12...1st 06 at 13...my son started hunting seriously at 13...we haven't shot anyone yet....

I noticed you said "we." Does that mean your 13 year-old hunts with adult supervision? Or is he allowed to hunt by himself?

I don't understand what's so awful about saying kids below a certain age should have adult supervision when they hunt. We expect them to have adult supervision when they start DRIVING, too. Not because there's something wrong with them, but because they're young, less experienced, and haven't developed the judgment and skills we expect of adults (not that adults always have the best judgment).

It's not as if we're suggesting kids shouldn't hunt at all.

Last edited:
Lets keep this on topic. I'm as concerned with irresponsible people being in the woods as the next member. This thread began as a hunting or shooting accident report. That relates to everyone's safety in the woods. Pls lets not let this evolve into a hunting thread as we know where those quickly head.

Thanks,
Alan

excuse me...who are you say a 14 yr old needs adult supervision...bought my 1st 270 at age 12...1st 06 at 13...my son started hunting seriously at 13...we haven't shot anyone yet....
Easy son--I was hunting w/ my Dad at that age--NOT by myself

blaze orange

oh btw...i never wear blaze orange hunting or hiking....never will..just sayin:confused: