Hiker mistaken for a bear shot and killed in Wa.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rare and tragic mistake has happened. Could it have been avoided? Yes, in hind sight but it was an still an accident.

I hope something is learned from this and the laws on youth hunting get tighten up. Imaging what our roads would be like if our drivers license requirements, traffic laws and car insurance for youth were this loose.

I suspect, sadly, youth kill more people with cars than hunting. :(
that's a statement to reflect on, not a bump on the string

If you want an interesting read on this tragic story go to “Hunting Washington” and “NWHikers.net” and see the reaction by both camps. I do have to say that the thread on the hunting page is far more rational and respectful than the one on the hiking site. The hunters seem to be equally outraged that this young boy didn’t identify his target before firing. They are concerned, however, that there will be a knee-jerk reaction and that some form of legislation will be passed. I’m not a hunter so I will not comment on whether or not legislation is warranted. Although allowing a child to hunt without supervision at any age as long as he/she passes a test is a tad troubling. I’m not sure how I would react to a group of 9 year olds all carrying high powered rifles and wondering around the woods without any adult being present. Honestly, I would exit the woods as fast as possible.

Does anyone here remember the Bangor, Maine, "deer" hunting accident back in 1988? Reference is made to that event in a paragraph towards the end of the article linked here. The hunter who was found not guilty of manslaughter was an adult, but at least the incident led to a stronger hunting law about ID of targets in Maine. I doubt that the 14 year old in Washington will suffer any legal consequences, other than perhaps losing his license for a couple of years. But, what an awful memory he will carry for the rest of his life. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, of course.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/berseth/backgrounder_ctv.html

Thanks Dr Wu...it says he'd likely get 9 months jail time. I find it interesting how they are charging him though...seems to appease both sides of the argument. Since the law allows for no adult supervision, they are charging with him with not following hunting regulations...that should keep the hunters happy because they're not saying laws should be changed, and yet it does punish him for his reckless behavior. I'd say that's one smart prosecutor for finding that middle ground.

Just the same, a woman is dead, and many many lives are changed forever - I can't imagine what her friend, just two feet away when this happened, is feeling.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
the article also reads "...if convicted....."

The 14 yo boy as only been "charged" with first-degree manslaughter.......

Of course - I guess I assumed that to be understood, but I also know what assuming does around here! :eek:

And I'd expect there to be some bargaining on this point (reckless indifference, etc.) but I guess I meant to point out it wasn't a 20 to life sentence, nor was the incident going to be ignored.

And, I would imagine, there is still civil court issues to consider.

WinterWarlock said:
And, I would imagine, there is still civil court issues to consider.

Good point about a civil court case, although I doubt that this kid's family has deep pockets, like OJ Simpson. I wonder if a civil court case followed the Bangor, Maine, acquittal in 1988?

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Good point about a civil court case, although I doubt that this kid's family has deep pockets, like OJ Simpson. I wonder if a civil court case followed the Bangor, Maine, acquittal in 1988?
Googled "Donald Rogerson Civil Trial"

ON DEC. 5, THE CASE WAS PRESENTED to a grand jury, which did not indict Rogerson. An out-of-court settlement of Kevin Wood's wrongful-death civil action, amounting to $122,000, was quickly reached. Rogerson's homeowner's insurance company paid his policy limit of $100,000 plus $2,000 in medical benefits. Rogerson himself paid $20,000 out of pocket, even though court records show that his savings account contained only $200, and he owned little besides two 20-year-old snowmobiles and an even more ancient 15-foot power boat. Had a lawsuit gone to trial, Rogerson would have had the option of declaring bankruptcy, Kevin Wood's lawyer told his client, and the whole thing might easily take years to resolve, so Wood was advised to settle quickly.
- NYT

-Dr. Wu

peakn said:
We were both wearing red so I felt safe. When I emerged from the brush I was looking into the barrel of my friends gun. He was convinced I was a bear because I appeared black in the brush, but waited to properly identify.

I was lucky! That's what SHOULD happen if hunters are properly educated.
Uh what? No way do you point a gun at anything until not only it is identified properly but you intend to shoot it. You don't aim then consider. You also shouldn't be using the scope on a gun as a viewing aid to help that identification. If normal eye sight is not enough then you should be carrying another viewing device to aid in your decision. I was taught that in Hunter Ed and by the people who physically took me into the woods. Both had plenty of stories of things that have gone wrong, not from far away land but ones that they or people they knew had gone through. Many hunters who have witnessed this type of thing are now the ones giving the classes on safety to help prevent it from ever happening again.

There is a lot more than sadness that will be dealt with by the hiking friend. I know many aren't familiar with guns but I think you get a picture when I say do you know what a .270 rifle will do to a human skull from 100 yards. It would be so horrific to watch that you'd have mental scarring for life, not just nightmares but serious middle of day type. If I were the friend I might be suing for emotional damages and giving the money to the deceased family and my only counseling. The woman had stopped to mess with a jacket and her pack, the friend I'd imagine was looking right at her.

it is legal in Washington for 14-year-olds to hunt without adult supervision

All I can say is this law needs to be rewritten.

WhiteMTHike said:
it is legal in Washington for 14-year-olds to hunt without adult supervision

All I can say is this law needs to be rewritten.

Maybe it will - it'll likely depend on the outcome of this case. Let's hope they do the right thing, whatever that may be. Funny, I could imagine a law like that in more remote places like Montana or Wyoming, but not Washington.

But I'd think parents ought to think twice about this, just as a part of responsible parenting. I couldn't imagine a 14 year old in the woods alone with a gun -

To bad they don't make you take a IQ test at the same time you apply for your hunting license. You see it all the time. You are hiking with your cousin/brother/friend, and you know he is on your right. They hear something move to their right and they turn and fire? :confused:
I read a story about a guy who was shot walking into a camp at night while they were sitting around the camp fire. I guess deer like camp coffee. The guy said he thought it was a deer??????????

Adk_dib said:
To bad they don't make you take a IQ test at the same time you apply for your hunting license.
Please don't bash hunters here. Feel free to make comments about this incident but blanket statements about large groups of people only serve to get people agitated and ends any chance at a civil discussion.

At the very least they should require that an individual below a certain age must take a refresher safety course every other year. I have to re-certify to be a trail maintainer and re-certify for my wilderness first-aid course and in both cases I am not armed with a high power rifle. This particular boy took the course when he was 9. You can forget a lot in 5 years, as is evident in this sad case.