peakbag Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el-bagr

Reaction score
CNN article

A sherpa set a record for speed-climbing Mt Everest : just over 8 hours.

Tim Seaver, when are you heading out? ;)

Seriously, that's fast.

That's too fast! WOW!
Not to take this thread in a bad direction...BUT...did anyone else notice the poll at the bottom of the article? "Does Everest still present a challenge?" First of all, that's a ridiculous question. And secondly and more ridiculous, 20% of repsondents said "No". I sit here irked. :mad: Hopefully, none of those 20% have ever been outside before. :confused:

Could it have been.....

I heard the 8 hour record was not a Sherpa but actually Pin Pin, who scolded the Sherpas for not wearing their snowshoes!:D

Did I read that article right... a 63 year old attempted Everest and died? The guide services are out of control!!!

Last edited:
The 63-year-old woman who died on Everest actually summitted from the North Side before suffering a fall on the way down. Say the guide services are out of control if you like, but I applaud her adventurous spirit and amazing success at a fairly late stage of life. Not a bad way to go.

I agree!! Mark S!!

Who's to say that the 63 year "old woman" wasn't more qualified than some stupid, young chick or GUY??!

That's right, I think you made the comment without even thinking!

One day, I may just end up being a 63 year old woman on Mt Everest and you can best believe that I will be qualified!

:p

huh?

Mark S said:
As an unqualified stupid young guy, I take offense to your comments.

I know we live in a world where everyone seems to enjoy getting offended by something, but what on earth did iNs day to offend? Geez. Or perhaps you just forgot the :rolleyes:

Whew!!!

Thanks dial, for clarifing this situation - I don't want to mess things up!

I know that I can easily say the wrong thing and often offend people that I communicate without their knowing me, so I just figured it was safest to assume that I was in error.

Happy hiking to you all - old, young, guys, dolls and everyone inbetween!:D

iceNsnow-

I pretty much figured we were on the same odd wave length all along - probably caused by too much time in the woods.

Seriously, though, I should clarify that Japanese woman Shoto Ota didn't fall on the way down as I originally posted but apparently simply lost consciousness and died after summiting. From what I read, she started climbing when she was 40, which would have given her nearly a quarter of a century of experience, which I think we can all agree "qualifies" her for an attempt on the world's greatest peak. Here's to living till the day you die. Happy everything to all.

I agree with Terry and bruno!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not looking to add more fuel to the fire and I'm not looking to argue with anyone, but since it is relevant to what this thread has become, a 69-year-old male US Doctor named Nils Antezana has also lost his life after summitting Everest. Apparently his climb was via the Southeast Route and he died on May 18 at an elevation at 8600 meters on his way down (not reported until today). My feelings on this are no different than on Shoto Ota's accomplishment ... if you feel differently, well then God Bless You anyway.

Why do I think the guide services are out of control????

I've read and seen too many accounts of irresponsible acts during summit attempts. Climbers pushing beyond their limits to reach the summit only to expire on the descent because they don't have the energy or are too hypoxic to make it back to Camp 4. Bottlenecks and standing in line at the Hillary step, wasting precious time and oxygen because too many people are attempting the summit at once. Nearly the entire route up the Western Cwm to the summit being a fixed rope so the guides can clip the climbers to the rope and not worry about them losing the route. Guides unable to communicate on summit day because they don't have radios. Guides reluctant to tell clients they are too weak to continue, clients who have invested a significant sum of money and feel the Guides are obligated to get them there. Clients at Camp 4 who don't even know the correct way to grip their ice axe. Climbers who will not assist others in trouble because they lack the skill or experience. I could go on...

Guide Services are transforming expedition climbing from the ultimate team sport to a deadly fantasy camp.

Did you know the first American team to successfully climb Annapurna was an all women team? The team raised their own funds and planned the entire expedition. They overcame logistics problems, food shortages, sherpa labor disputes, and many other difficulties. Unfortunately, following a successful summit attempt by one team, the second pair fell to their death during their summit ascent. I have tremendous respect for the difficulties they overcame just to keep the expedition going. I doubt any guided clients have the skill or desire that these women or any other expedition who did it on their own possess. They just pay for someone else to do the dirty work.

The actual climb is only a fraction of the effort.

Just explaining the way I feel

:D

I agree with all of you guys to a certain extent. While I do think the guiding services are getting a bit out of control, I also think that climbing everest at that old of an age is phenomenal; death or no death. Personally, I think that'd be a great way to go out. But with that said, I still agree w/ KZ quite a bit. It seems to me that people think, I paid 10,000 dollars, I can make it. But in reality, no amount of money can ensure your safety on everest! But, I also am torn on this issue because I feel that people should have the choice and freedom to do as they please. If they want to pay 10,000 (or however much it is) to attempt everest then by all means. I dont care if they are experienced or not, as long as they know that death is very possible. If they understand that and still want to try it, more power to them. If there is one thing I hate, its regulations! lol

Ben;

I think its more like $60K, although sometimes the price can be negotiable, especially if you paid full price on a previous expedition and did not summit.

KZ

Mark S said:
No, post'r boy ... You da man.

No wait, FRODO'S da man!!!

Check out everestnews.com. Looks like they may have found Sandy Irvine's body. Holy crap. Today's marks 80 years since Mallory and Irvine disappeared. Now, they were definitely the men. :D :D

http://www.everestnews2004.com/malloryandirvine2004/dispatch06082004.htm
Mark S said:
Happy everything to all.

I agree with Terry and bruno!!!!!
Mark S said:
I guess I just forgot the smilee face.
:D :D :D :) ;) :cool:

Now I just feel like post'r boy.

where the hell was i when all this was goin' on????? :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.