Baker 50/50F

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
For a number of reasons, I just haven't gotten around to Baker, the last of my 50 Finest. I woke to an unexpected small window of clear skies in the recent (all summer?) rains in Maine and decided to take off on the spur of the moment for Greenville/Kokadjo (yes i had it planned long ago :) ).

I got a super late start, but no traffic and no wrong turns got me to the base of S. Baker before 11. The dirt road(s) drive in from the Lily Bay Road is a little complicated, but directions from Big Moose were spot on and saved me time. Thanks also to One Step and Nate on this one. There's a fairly new logging road that goes around? Baker from the clearing I parked in at the base of S Baker and probably merits exploring to take at least a few tenths off the wack-everything on this one would be welcome.

Lacking a better plan and only shooting for Baker proper, I had decided on a straight line shot. I plunged into the woods and while the skies were clear/cloudy, the recent heavy rain had made conditions pretty difficult with everything soaked, mud ankle deep in many places and some water crossings a bit testy-i think i skidded and fell at least 5 times as often as i normally would on this hike.

The hike is pretty much a continual full body beating. The woods are moderate to thick in most places with only a few "breathers". The trip up went as well as I could have expected, no major issues. The lower portion of the climb had several disorienting ups/downs/gullies/streams. There are bands of thick balsam here and there and the summit ridge is wicked in spots. Blowdown fields were only a minor nuisance on the way up. I reached the top more quickly than i had hoped and soon found the nice canister placed last year by Big Moose. Only one (unknown to me) person signed in since then.

Baker did exact more than a physical toll and usual blood sacrifice(as always shorts and T :) ) . On the way up, I lost an almost new Black Diamond pole-2 sections in 2 different places. Yes, I have a history with this :) , but the new flick lock design was at least partly to blame-it's really easy to "open" in very heavy bushwacking-probably should never have brought them. I also lost my Wal Mart watch (ripped off my wrist at one point i guess) and a nice empty nalgene that was in a water bottle pocket.

On the way down the "50 foot rule" (Amicus?) came into play. I tried to retrace my steps, but got into some awful stuff. One place, I clearly strayed into the drainage basin from Middle Baker that One Step warned me about. It was awful, pick-up sticks and no progress-really bad beating. I finally climbed back "up" to a ridge, managed a better line and returned to the car tired, but happy. Rain fell just as i turned the ignition.

Odd thing--I saw a small snake at "eye-level" about a foot from my face in a thick steep section- had worked its way up about 3-4' onto a balsam branch and was curled up sunning --have never seen this before.

Baker is the last of the Fifty Finest for me--I've really enjoyed this group of peaks and commend them to you

this hike was for my friend who knows why

jim

Last edited:
buckyball1 said:
On the way down the "50 foot rule" (Amicus?) came into play.

That rule says bushwhacking lines merely 50 feet apart (but you could probably reduce that to 20 in some conditions) can represent the difference between Heaven and Hell. That is a 'whacking truism I was merely repeating, I'm sure.

What is it with you and poles? Maybe you'll make a new friend of the guy or gal who follows your tracks and gets a Black Diamond as slight consolation. :)

From the ones I've hiked, I'd say the 50 Finest are a fine and underappreciated set of peaks. Well done!

Hey, Jim, don't you practice "Leave No Trace?"
Sounds like you left such a trail of detritus you could be arrested for littering! :)
Not to mention all the skin & blood you spread around in that thickery....
Nevertheless, congratulations!
I agree with you, the Finest Fifty is a noble list. Not many of us have accomplished it... Even those finishing the 453 don't qualify, of course, unless they tack on the various 2ks on the FF list.

Glad to hear you could open the PVC can... I was afraid I'd have to thrash back up there to sink a set screw into the interior threads to prevent over tightening, which can really bind those suckers up.

I still think you should have done the ridge... ascending South was nice, and the ridge wasn't bad. Having descended Baker on the route you climbed, I know what you were up against. It was bad enough going down. I remember thinking I was glad I hadn't gone up that way....

jt

So...
How many "Finest Fifty" finishers are there now?
Would Roy care to comment?

bigmoose said:
So...
How many "Finest Fifty" finishers are there now?
Would Roy care to comment?
I'm not the official record keeper, Andy Martin is

If you didn't report it to him, a tree didn't fall in the forest :)
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23006

According to Andy Martin's list
http://oldadit.googlepages.com/FRL.txt
, there are 6 but we know a couple are missing :)

------------------
New England 50!
Arthur Josephson, Roy Schweiker, Richard Garland
Pierre Lefebvre
** Nate Parsons 6-26-2007 on Cold Hollow Mtn.
** John Thompson 6-14-2008 on White Cap ME

So, Buckyball1, of the known finishers, looks like I'm #6 and you're #7.
Nice!
jt

For those who think that a list with only 50 peaks is too wimpy (I notice that most NE 3K finishers haven't bothered to do the few extra they would need for 50p - after 451 who needs 50?), Aaron has worked up prominence lists for New England but has posted only a few as yet. Perhaps the most interesting is 99 peaks for the ME1k:
http://peaklist.org/USlists/Maine1000.html

I am bagging 1-2 per year due to travel issues but will finish if I live long enough, this would be a better project for someone from ME. And you can always grab just the next 20 or so for when the NE100p list comes out :)