Crawford Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The west side peaks are all generally wooded.

Southern Presis should have good Alpine areas. Perhaps a Pierce-Eisenhower loop (Crawford Path up, Edmunds path down) or further on up an Eisenhower-Monroe loop (Edmunds up, Ammo down - watch your footing. maybe do it the other way). Best bet is to get a recent copy of the White Mountain Guide and look over the maps and trail descriptions.

Have fun, it's a great area.

Pb

Although Willey-Field and Tom are wooded peaks there are spectacular outlooks from the ledges of Willey and on the way stop and bag Avalon which has even better views. Usually these Western peaks are less crowded. They don't quite compare in stark beauty to the Southern Presidentials but they have a wilderness feel to them. I agree with PB, get a WM guide, have fun up there.........

Though a short drive from Crawford Notch, I HIGHLY recommend South Twin, we were there on Thursday and you can see for miles and miles on a clear day . . . It was a great trip. Garfield is another GREAT summit!!!

sli74

Webster Cliffs & the hike over to Eisenhower from Clinton are two of my favorite trails in that area. Check out the descriptions in the trail guide.

I would reccomend going up the Webster-Jackson trail to Mt Jackson, then over to the Mizpah Hut, continue over Mt Pierce and continue on to Mt Eisenhower. Decend on Crawford Path. All 3 summits are open and the views get better as the summits are progressively higher. The only thing that spoils the view on Eisenhower is the cog train going up Washington.

On the other side of the notch, Mt Field has a minimal view down to the Bretton Woods hotel, but the gray jays are very friendly. They will take food right from your hand if you let them.