Solo Tent for Tall Person

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsock

Reaction score
Yes, another thread about solo tents!
This time the question is about solo tents for someone over 6' tall. I am 6'4", and it seems like a lot of reviews I read for solo tents is that anyone over 6' tall will not fit in the tent. For example, the Big Agnes Seed House SL2 claims that it is 84" long. But, a reviewer of the tent who is 6'1" said that his head and feet touched the ends.
So, does anyone have any suggestions for a solo tent for a person my height?

You might want to consider some of the Henry Shires tarptents, although they may not be ideal is all conditions, they are certainly pretty tall, tall that they are sometimes hard to pitch in some of the small sites in the Whites, in my experience. At 13 falls, we had a pretty small site, I had to guy the endlines outside our official campsite space. I have a Cloudburst (old style) which is cavernous for me, but I'm only 5'5"

Jay

I'm 6'4" as well. I almost never use solo shelters since I'm usually on the trail with someone, but two-mans that fit me: REI Half Dome (kinda cramped for the weight), MSR Hubba Hubba, TarpTent Cloudburst 2. I imagine that means the quarter-dome and Hubba would be viable solo tents, probably the Rainbow too.

Bear in mind I do not get claustrophobic in tents and I'm happy as long as I'm not smack up against the wall. I can sit up in all of those, well enough to change clothes, but not necessarily straight up (bend the neck a little.)

Henry's tents (Tarptent) are all over 90" long. Depending on what you want it for, he should have something to fit you. He doesn't make a winter tent, though. Henry is very good about answering questions and he posts occasionally on The Lightweight Backpacker (www.backpacking.net) answering questions people have about his tents.

I had a Cloudburst, but never got around to using it. Well-made and pretty big for two-probably too big if just for one.

www.tarptent.com