Our Personal Health Plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Health Insurance Coverage is a big part of our society here in the US of A. However I believe the most important health plan is the one we carry out as individuals on a daily basis through food, nutrition, sleep, excercise, stretching, yoga etc. I think it would be interesting to learn from each other what we do to stay healthy and be able to maximize our time spent in the woods and mountains. The older we get the more urgent it is to pay attention to our "personal health plan" to stay healthy.

There was a thread recently about how to stay away from injuries which was very interesting. This thread encourages VFTT members to share on a broader level what they do to stay healthy. Preventing injuries is one aspect of it. The two basic factors which determines how much time we can spend in the woods are staying away from injuries and diseases/being sick and do what we can do live a longer life. Of course there are other factors like family obligations, making a living etc which affects our time we can set aside for peak bagging etc. In this thread I want to focus on what we do on a daily basis to stay healthier.

So bring on your secret recipes :)

Reactions: MEB
hmmm

lots of booze, heroin only on the weekend and cocaine (speeds up metabolism so you can eat all the McDonalds you want)!

well really i eat pretty healthy. mostly whole grain, lots of fruit, no red meat (fish and white meat chicken). after a long hike is a different story! last physical everything looked good (low cholesterol and low blood pressure).
now if i could just shed 20 #'S!!!!

try to bike to work 3 or 4 times per week and walk the dogs after work.

and i very rarely get sick (knock on wood).

I think what we eat has a big effect on our health thus this thread awhile back. And exercise is of great benefit expecially if outdoors. I have always had good health and hope to keep it that why as the years add on by eating healthy and getting outside rain or shine, having a positive outlook, and pushing myself but within reason.

weight management

I think your weight has a big impact on your endurance and your ability to avoid injury. As we age, it becomes more difficult to keep the pounds off, but also more important. Less pounds = less strain on the knees and spine.

If you eat right, everything in moderation, the weight takes care of itself.

I also think you need a certain amount of exercise each week. I do fine on the weight control, but don't do as well on the consistent exercise - I go in spurts!

I've found that a regular dosage of martinis kills most germs. And, martinis, as well as other good food, keeps the soul happy. When the soul is happy, everything else will follow.

If you're ever in Ottawa, check out L'Oree Du Bois, which is just across the river in Quebec. Just last week, I tried their foie gras mousse with jellied local apple cider and deer medallions marinated with red wine lees in a black peppercorn sauce. A glass of sparkling wine and followed by a superb red, capped a superb meal. I felt pretty good afterward.

Eat properly, exercise, simplify, avoid stress and stay away from doctors and thier scripts. Of course not always possible.

Look forward as much as possible. Set goals, make plans.

Try not to miss an opportunity to get a "belly-full" of fruits or vegetables.

Use it or lose it.

I've always subscribed to the belief that balance is the key to success in life. Of couse a well balanced diet and avoid junk food. Diverse physical activities make for a fully functioning human machine. Do as many activities as possible.
Hiking, biking, skiing,full-court basketball, swimming,trail running,,,,,,even going to the gym(something I have always avoided) is helpful as my schedule gets more and more cramped.

Get and stay married!! :D For men, in particular, studies reveal that married men remain happier and HEALTHIER in the longrun!

Best wishes, Mats!!!!

Last edited:
Spend lots of time with good people (see VFTT member list).
Don't pin your hopes to the whims of others.
If possible, have a couple kids, work your tail off trying to raise them well (of course that includes getting them out into the mountains), then relax and watch them become their own persons.

mookie said:
"Get and stay married!! "

haha. doesnt work for all of us!

In that same vein, when you're S.O. says "I've never been this happy in my life", DO NOT respond with "...and I've never been this drunk in my life".

bob

Keys to good health and happiness

Go to VFTT gatherings. Eat and drink everything in sight. Stay up until the wee hours watching a roaring fire. Sleep on the cold, wet ground. Get up and eat and drink everything in sight. Hike something semi-difficult, like North Tri Slide. Eat and drink everything in sight. Enjoy all the smiling faces around you. Enjoy the perfect summer views. Hike down at a real fast pace so you can go and meet everyone at a place where you can all eat and drink everything in sight and enjoy all the smiling faces. Repeat as needed. Oh yes, and did I mention eat and drink everything in sight?

KDT