Fall color and leaves?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the Maryland DNR website:

How does weather affect autumn color?
"Temperature and moisture are the main influences......
Picture of a tree with leaves changing color.A succession of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp but not freezing nights seems to bring about the most spectacular color displays......
The amount of moisture in the soil also affects autumn colors. Like the weather, soil moisture varies greatly from year to year......
A late spring, or a severe summer drought, can delay the onset of fall color by a few weeks. A warm period during fall will also lower the intensity of autumn colors. A warm wet spring, favorable summer weather, and warm sunny fall days with cool nights should produce the most brilliant autumn colors. "

According to another site (NCSU) describing drought effect on foliage (poor),
"adequate" soil moisture is needed to ensure that trees hang onto their leaves long enough for a decent fall.
Sorry I can't find anything more specific.

MR

I just noticed 2 old, kind of unhealthy maples in my yard here in CT are about 1/3 orange and yellow already. I think it'll be an early, fast foliage season.

MFurgal64 called me all excited at noon yesterday when he spotted several (not-swamped) maples that had turned along the lower Tripoli Road. I think Chip might be right -- early color, at least.

I dreamt of snow last night. Is that a bad thing?

Over the weekend as I passed several swamp/marsh areas in NH there are large clusters of turning leaves. Quite pretty especially last evening in the setting sun.

carole said:
Over the weekend as I passed several swamp/marsh areas in NH there are large clusters of turning leaves. Quite pretty especially last evening in the setting sun.

Agreed. We paddled Elbow Pond yesterday (Rt 118 in Warren) and the colors along the banks of the lake were striking.

Last weekend I noticed that sections of many trees along Main Street/Rt 302 in Bethlehem are turning red and orange. Mid August does seem early, even for up here.

every year there are those early turners...not sure why..age, type of tree... but noticed on the way up Rt. 3 to lake placid last weekend too that some trees had started turning...45 degrees here in CNY this morning......

On Route 4 between Danbury and Orange yesterday, there were some stands of maple with red leaves already - looked like early October!