Planning a 3-day Pemi hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I want to detail this here so that people who are familiar with this area can mention anything I should know about that I won't be aware of just from looking at the map. And to ask questions on a few things.

We're planning to do a clockwise loop hitting Owl's Head, Twins, Zealand, and Bonds. There appears to be a camping area near the trailhead off of the kanc. Does anyone know if you have to make reservations for this campsite, and how much it costs?

It looks like the areas south and southwest of Owl's Head involve a lot of stream crossings. How bad is it?

We plan to spend the first night at Thirteen Falls Campsite, just south of Mt. Garfield. Does this campsite require reservation and/or fee? I've heard about bear problems here.

The second day we head up to Galehead, Twins, and Zealand. I think there's another campsite between Guyot and the Bonds. The last day, we do the Bonds and head back out.

The fee for both 13 Falls and Guyot is $8.00. Both sites are first come first serve. There are a number of stream crossings on the Lincoln Brook Trail and there is one that does require a good rock hopping skill. You might consider bringing river shoes for that one. I made it across while others took of their boots. 13 Falls also has a bear box and a cable for hanging food. Bring a swim suit for 13 Falls.

Last edited:
Turns out to be a moot point, anyway. I have a broken foot, and will not be walking anywhere further than the grocery store. :(