Campsites near Cascade Mt.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Dub

Reaction score
I'm taking my kids (ages 11 and 8) up to the ADK's on Sunday for their first 46ers hike -- Cascade and Porter. Originally, I was planning on doing a backpacking trip, but I'm re-thinking that plan now. I don't want to overwhelm them on their first ADK's trip, so I'm leaning toward just finding a campsite to pitch the tent at.

Other than the campsites at the Loj, are there other private campgrounds nearer to Cascade Pond? Something near Mt. Van Hovenbergenstein, perhaps?

Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

Absolutely. Whispering Pines Campground is right across from the entrance to Mt vH off Rt 73. It was the site of Gathering 5.0 - so it's suitable for just about anyone here! ;)

It's a typical private campground - nice for car camping. Reasonably clean, camp store for ice, etc. Very convenient.

I recommend WP as well. The only problem there is that there is not anything for the kids to do like there would be at the Loj Campground. They are comarible in price and you get more for your buck at the Loj!

Adam

1ADAM12 said:
I recommend WP as well. The only problem there is that there is not anything for the kids to do like there would be at the Loj Campground. They are comarible in price and you get more for your buck at the Loj!

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't expecting to be doing much at the campsite...basically show up, set up the tents and bed down for the night and go hiking the next morning.

The WP recommendation sounded good, since it would be closer to Cascade and I could avoid driving on Adirondack Loj Road, which, IIRC was re-named from "Giant Potholes That Will Eat The Entire Front End Of Your Car Road". I've got a worn front sway bar bushing that I haven't replaced yet, so a campsite right off the well-paved Rt. 73 would be a good thing.

What additional activities are available at the Loj campground that might "encourage" me to fix my suspension this week? :eek:

J.Dub said:
Thanks for the feedback.

What additional activities are available at the Loj campground that might "encourage" me to fix my suspension this week? :eek:

Well they have swimming in Heart Lake, you can rent canoes, MT Joe although not a high peak is right there as well and other hiking possibilities are endless. A nice little day hike would also be to take the kids into Marcy Dam and have them look up at Colden. Either way you will have a great time wherever you choose to camp.

If you stay at WP you are a very close drive to Lake Placid where you could go in and get some great food after Cascade and Porter. Do yourself a favor and either start really early or later afternoon to avoid the big crowds on the summit :)

EDIT: One more thing. If you stay at WP bring some quarters as you have to pay for the shower use ;)

Last edited:
Well, we ended up staying at a tent site at the Loj campground, and we had a great trip.

And I've got two new 46ers-in-training. ;)

Full TR and pix to follow in a separate thread.

J.Dub said:
Well, we ended up staying at a tent site at the Loj campground, and we had a great trip.

And I've got two new 46ers-in-training. ;)

Full TR and pix to follow in a separate thread.

Good for you - and for them! I took my kids up Cascade/Porter a few weeks ago - it's a lot of fun to see their faces as they break above the trees.