Non-MMG Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
RoySwkr said:
Only if you want to hike mountains along the AT, preferably via the AT :)

Most peaks in ME are far away from the AT and not in the MATC guide, all too many aren't in the MMG either

Compare the thickness of the WMG with that of the MMG, and the area of Northern NH to that of all of ME, and you get some idea just how skimpy the MMG is

This post from Roy brings up a good question, namely what mountains in Maine aren't in the Maine Mountain Guide, but should be? Certainly there are mountains out there that are hikable, but due to private property issues or other considerations shouldn't be in the book. However, there's lots of other places that should be, and for whatever reason aren't. That's why Christopher Keane's "Northern Woods Walks" is a good addendum to the MMG, since it describes hikes that aren't in the other volume. In addition to that, I can also think of the following places:

Wadleigh Mountain
Deasey Mountain
Cutler Coast (public reserve land in way eastern Maine)
Tunk Mountain (which, despite what the MMG says, does have a herd path that goes all the way to the top from Mud Pond)
Mackworth Island (off of Falmouth)
Little Cheabeague Island (accessible from Great Cheabeague via a sandbar at low tide)

I'm sure there's quite a few other places out there that we collectively know about.

Black Nubble might as well be. An ATV trail that goes close to the top and a herd path/trail for the last few yards to the summit.

Another resource is Maine's state park website, since not all the parks with worthwhile hiking opportunities are listed in the MMG. The Guide doesn't even list all the trails in Baxter State Park, who's actually been adding some trails recently. Plus, for the Camden Hills, a good resource is the trail map put out by Map Adventures, which seems to show everything, including the new St. George Valley Trail. Nor does the MMG deal with the IAT.

Nate said:
The Guide doesn't even list all the trails in Baxter State Park, who's actually been adding some trails recently.
Oooh, details? Is the MMG map at least up-to-date?

(I suspect the lack of mention of the IAT may have something to do with the BSP position that it doesn't exist, including closing the north peaks trail.)

For the map that came with copy of the MMG I have, it shows all the trails that go up to summits (at least all the official ones), but there's some other nature walk type trails that aren't depicted (mostly in the southern part of the park). Plus, now that Baxter has acquired land around Katahdin Lake, this also adds to the park's inventory.

Another place that has a fair amount of trails is Good Will Farms in Hinckley. They have trail maps at the school's museum.

Plus, I"m not sure if this is in the AMC guide for Acadia, but there are some lovely trails on Isle Au Haut. Or, should one ever wander out to Frenchboro, that island has some trails as well, including one that goes around the whole island.