Katahdin--Hamlin and Howe Peaks 8/24/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
It was 3AM and I couldn't sleep. I figured I may as well get up and and drive to Baxter and wait in line for a parking spot at Roaring Brook. I loaded the backpack, made coffee and was out the door by 3:45. I returned home again 20 minutes later after realizing I forgot my hiking boots :eek: It's a good thing I only live 50 minutes from the gatehouse.

Hiked up Chimney pond to the North Basin cut-off then up the Hamlin Ridge trail. Beautiful day. Actually got a little sunburn despite the sunblock. Once on Hamlin's summit I decided to hike Howe Peaks (North Peaks). I went 1.8 miles to the the end of the trail, which stops at the treeline. It was a grand day for hanging out on the table lands :) :) I had the whole place to myself. I ate lunch and basked in the sun. I was going to return via Hamlin, but I wanted to see if there was any water in Caribou Spring. It's in fine shape, and the water is pretty cold! I decided to keep heading across the table lands and eventually descended down Saddle.

I checked out he new bunkhouse at Chimney Pond. It's really looking sweet. The propane light over the kitchen counter is a nice touch. They're building a wood shed now.

Dinner at Dad's house in Millinocket made the perfect ending to a great day.