got orange? hunting season begins Sept 1st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tis the season - thank you for the reminder!

Coming to New Hampshire in September, per the link:

Sept. 1 - November Black bear/end dates vary for method and WMU
Sept. 2008 - Jan. 2009 Waterfowl/dates vary by species and zone
Sept. 27 - Sept. 28 Youth waterfowl weekend (Saturday and Sunday)
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery (end dates may vary by WMU; closes Dec. 8 in WMU A)
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Fall turkey/archery
Sept. 2008 - March 2009 Small game/dates vary by species and region

Last edited:
Opening day tends to be "the rush" and certainly the fall and early winter is the most active hunting season, but I think it's important to remember that there is a season for something open nearly all year round. Example: In CT the only closed season for coyote is during the spring and fall turkey season, creating a 12 month season for one of those 2. Deer and small game seasons are on top of that. Most of the AT in CT borders or actually crosses through land that hunting is allowed (even encouraged) on.

I have a 12 month "Leave a Visible Trace" policy in the woods when it comes to my clothes and pack colors. Sorry LNT. Being seen is too important a safety issue.

Chip I have a 12 month "Leave a Visible Trace" policy in the woods when it comes to my clothes and pack colors. Sorry LNT. Being seen is too important a safety issue.[/QUOTE said:
s7_960243_imageset_01

This is what I wear but it's fleece I got from Walmart.

In another month or 6 weeks, my Lab will be wearing a blaze orange gun dog vest as she does every fall. Going to have a bird dog bell on her collar this year too.
I usually try to avoid trails/trailheads with hunter activity if possible. As much because I don't want to disturb their sport as for our own safety.
A good rule is to locate trails or routes that gain a lot of elevation quickly. That usually eliminates the concern.
Its my hope this thread stays on point, about safety. Pls post hunter vs hiker stuff some place else.

Peakbagger,

You make a good point about trying to avoid trails where there is hunting activity
& I can see how finding a trail that ascends quickly can help to avoid
hunters in the 1st place,

but
I was just curious ~if anyone knows

Are there some WM hiking areas that are More apt to have hunters present during this season ?

Thank You!

Tricia,

Can't speak directly about WM areas, but places closest to population centers often attract the least experienced hunters.
Places to avoid are large trailheads away from main highways, locations with lots of woods roads, areas that allow ATV jeep travel. And especially avoid trail with long flat and branching trails that are flat or climb over a long distance.
Hunters' gear is heavy and carrying it a long way without soaking clothing designed for sitting without getting cold for long periods of time is an important issue. if they shoot something, getting it back to the road is always an issue. For that reason steep and rocky terrain is country that many hunters avoid.
Hope this helps. I was a hunter for a long time and still take the gun out for a walk every now and then.

pocahontas said:
I was just curious ~if anyone knows

Are there some WM hiking areas that are More apt to have hunters present during this season ?

Thank You!

Virtually the entire White Mountain National Forest is open to hunting. I would use the terrain as your guide, not a listing of specific areas. Hunters will often favor less steep terrain, recent clearcuts, edges of swampy areas, places with forest road access (even if gated), and will generally not venture more than 1/2 to one mile from a road open to vehicles.

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that the area around Mt. Cabot is more heavily hunted than other areas of the Whites. I was told this by someone from Berlin.

pocahontas said:

The first season you have to worry about is bear. In the Whites, it starts Sept. 1 this year. There's an estimated 1.1 bears per square mile in the Whites, higher than anywhere else in the state. To avoid bear hunting, you want to think like a bear hunter. Here's how a bear hunter thinks (from the NH Fish & Game site):

Bears must pack on significant fat and gain a tremendous amount of weight to sustain them through hibernation. A bear's appetite increases during fall and they eat approximately three times as much compared to their summer diet. The amount of time spent feeding each day increases to about 20 hours per day and they consume as many as 20,000 calories per day. The bear's biological clock shifts into an exaggerated eating mode, a condition referred to as "hyperphagia." The amount of weight the bear gains is regulated by the amount of fat reserves accumulated. The amount of weight a female gains influences her reproductive success. A female's fat reserves need to be approximately three times greater than normal to enable her to successfully produce and support cubs.

Given the importance of food to bears during fall, bear behavior and activity patterns during that season are dictated by the location, quantity and quality of foods. To consistently succeed as a bear hunter, it is important to scout out those foods sources in areas that you plan to hunt to determine which foods are attracting bears. Once fresh bear sign is located, patience and persistence often leads to hunter success.

The New Hampshire 2008 bear hunting season is looking very promising. It appears that both beechnuts and acorns will be present in many areas. In addition to hard mast, multiple berry-producing species (e.g., raspberries, blackberries, apples and various cherry species) should be yielding abundant crops by late summer and early fall. At the start of the season in September, bears typically are predominantly feeding on fruits and berries. As late September and October approach, bears begin seeking out those areas where beechnuts and acorns are present. [end quote]

In short areas with hardwoods (beech and oak) will attract bear hunters later, berries sooner. Both these will tend to be at lower elevations, although there are some exceptions. I have seen more bear hunters on trails in the Randolph area than anywhere else in the Whites. Right now the bears are feeding voraciously on the elderberries in my back yard. They've pretty much cleaned out the available supply.

For anyone looking to bushwhack Elephant Mt. in western Maine, please note that Ray and I ran into some bear baiters. They were walking on the tote road that is traditionally walked before taking a left on a herd path. We did not see a bear baiting station during the hike, but it's probably not too far from the hiking area. I would highly advise wearing orange on this hike, as it is bear hunting season in Maine.

Just to be safe, I typically wear some orange on any remote trail, bushwhack or log road walk in the Maine mountains between now through December.

Marty

Adk_dib said:
I don't think orange is good enough for some of these guys. I think I will be wearing a hard hat with flashing lights. ;)

I agree. I've been known to wear bright blue wind pants with the orange hoodie. :eek:

hunting season

Inserted by moderator in place of post that was deleted:

"Its my hope this thread stays on point, about safety. Pls post hunter vs hiker stuff some place else."

Last edited by a moderator:
swamp said:
I'm under the impression that the area around Mt. Cabot is more heavily hunted than other areas of the Whites. I was told this by someone from Berlin.

A person from Berlin might say that, as it's closer to their area. Personally, I don't know many people from Berlin who hunt in the Whites. Most of them actually go much farther north. Also, depends on what you are hunting.

I do a lot of mt biking down here in GA and across the river in SC. The local mt biking boards are basically telling us to either were blaze orange or stay off the trails during hunting season. USFS and Corp. of Engineers have also posted signs for mt. bikers and hikers at trailheads requiring them to wear orange also. I just got myself blaze orange poly-pro shirt at Walmart for $6. Better safe.