The Curse of Chocorua Still Alive? (Mt. Chocorua 28-Aug-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Many of you are undoubtedly familiar with the legend of Native American chief named Chocorua, but for those who are not; you can click HERE for the details. But the long & short of it is that just before dying Chief Chocorua allegedly put a curse on the people in the area now known as Tamworth.

Well, on our trek to Mt. Chocorua, Zman and I wondered if the curse was perhaps still alive on this particular day in the form of a pestilence (in this case, hoards of bugs!). As we approached the summit, we wondered why on such a glorious sunny and windless day, there were no folks congregated at the high point on the summit of Chocorua. We soon found out! We sat down and soon were attacked by massive numbers of crawling and flying insects. We didn’t stay around long enough to determine if the flying ones were the same as the crawling ones; much less take time to photograph them!!

But, other than the “curse of Chocorua” bug-attack, we had a very enjoyable trek to the summit via the Champney Falls & Piper Trail. On the way up we took a short off-trail detour at about 2700 feet to bushwhack to a ledge on the NW arm coming off Chocorua. This is a very pleasant spot with some good views (photos below shows examples of views form there).
%21P1050198.JPG
%21P1050199.JPG

Once we got back on the Champney Falls Trail, we continued our trail-chatter about a variety of topics including a comical (at least to us!) exchange about the “carry-in/carry-out” policy. This could likely be the topic of an entire thread, but the conversation devolved into things that folks might carry in, but might be yucky to carry out. I’ll go no further!

Upon arriving at the summit area of Mt. Chocorua, we of course took some obligatory photos, two of which are shown below.
%21P1050202.JPG
%21P1050207.JPG

Although Mt Chocorua is not a 4K peak (weighs in at just under 3500’), it’s one of the most climbed NH mountains, and many would agree that it’s one of the most picturesque mountains in the Whites.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
1HappyHiker said:
This could likely be the topic of an entire thread, but the conversation devolved into things that folks might carry in, but might be yucky to carry out. I’ll go no further!

I know what you mean. My wife and I always pick up any trash we find on the trail, but when we were on the Old Bridle Path Tuesday we both agreed that a pair of red underwear we saw hanging on a tree along the ridge was going to have to remain there... :eek:

Nice pictures, this is one of my favorite hikes!
^MtnMike^

I'm convinced that there are more bugs at the summits because that is were many sit and eat and drop crumbs or more, inviting the bugs. Last year on Jefferson we were swarmed by biting winged ant type bugs and black flies at the summit. There were no bugs anywhere else on the mountain.

Quietman said:
I'm convinced that there are more bugs at the summits because that is were many sit and eat and drop crumbs or more, inviting the bugs. Last year on Jefferson we were swarmed by biting winged ant type bugs and black flies at the summit. There were no bugs anywhere else on the mountain.
A number of insects use "go uphill" as a mating strategy. Since there are only a limited number of hilltops, it is a good way of meeting others. You likely are just in their way.

Doug

DougPaul said:
A number of insects use "go uphill" as a mating strategy. Since there are only a limited number of hilltops, it is a good way of meeting others. You likely are just in their way.

Sorry, Doug, you're way off. A little known fact is that peakbagging is the most popular recreational activity amongst bugkind, hence why there are so many up there.

rocket21 said:
Sorry, Doug, you're way off. A little known fact is that peakbagging is the most popular recreational activity amongst bugkind, hence why there are so many up there.
You could be right.

Or summits could be well known among flesh-eating bugs as good feeding grounds--all those stupid fur-less humans sitting around just waiting to be eaten...

Doug

Love Chocorua!

Chocorua was my wife's and my first "real" mountain. I'll never forget looking out at all the pyramidical peaks to the north and west and thinking to myself that someday I want to have climbed them all. I'm close.

Many ignore this wonderful peak because it isn't on the 4000 footer list. Big mistake. When you're through with your lists take the time to visit this gem!

KDT