Galehead, Twins and Garfield 05-18-04 to 05-20-04

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
On Sunday, after an amazing 3 day hiking trip in Maine I got into my car and drove yet again to NH. I stayed the night in Hiker’s Paradise and hung out a bit with Baden, the caretaker. The next day was a sunny beautiful Monday morning and I instantly wished I had told John and Meri to meet me on Monday instead of taking a day off . . . however, the day off gave me a nice relaxed day to chill and get my act together, shopping and packing, etc. Thanks to Liza, yet again, for providing me with a place to get organized. John, Meri and I got our stuff packed and bright and early the next morning (Tuesday) we drove to the Garfield Trail Parking lot where I left my car and then we headed to the Gale River Trail Parking lot. We made really good time up to Galehead Hut. This trip came together because I had noticed that the Hut was in a short self-service season which is the only time I can afford/justify a night at the Huts. Well, I really went all out and treated myself as we decided on 2 nights at the Hut. It was spitting rain off and on the entire day on Tuesday and though our original plan was to hike the Twins Tuesday afternoon, the foreboding skies and the dreary day kept us closer to “home” . . . We hiked up to Galehead summit and back and then spent the rest of the day just hanging out. That evening I cooked a “gourmet” Indian meal and we invited the caretaker Deb to join us. It turned out very well and I was quite pleased. The next day, we woke to cloudy skies which soon gave way and broke to sunny skies and clear views for miles around. We hiked the Twins that day and were really glad we waited for clear skies. It was a BEAUTIFUL view. This maybe one of my top ten! We had talked about hiking to Guyot but decided the 4 miles extra might cause us to miss the “entertainment” that awaited us at the Hut. Deb had told us that Galehead Hut was scheduled to get its helicopter provision drop that day. And we wanted to see how this was done so we rushed back to the hut and climbed up to the view on Galehead Mountain before heading back to wait for the “landing”. We got a chance to see the helicopter drop, kinda cool . . . and we also were treated to John’s “gourmet” pasta primavera . . . YUMMY and Meri’s lox and cheese. We hung out that night and then early the next day after saying our goodbyes left to hike up and over Garfield and out Garfield Trail to my spotted car. The summit of Garfield offered amazing views and a wind so strong we tried to capture its force on film . . . Anyway, I was unable to join John and Meri on the post hike dinner, which I hear was yummy! Next time guys . . . Thank you both for making my trip up to Galehead, Garfield and the Twins a successful one . . .

My pictures are not yet titled but they are up on my Webshots page . . . community.webshots.com/user/sli74 under "Galehead Hut Trip"

Sli74

Excellent pictures!

I really think the one on top of Garfield (107_0791) with your red jacket flying should be your avitar - it's great!

will you miss us when you're out in the great west? Will you
think of us when you're among the hoodoos or on Angel's Landing?

I know we'll miss you!
-Liza

Nice pictures, South Twin is one of my favorite views too, along with Guyot & Garfield.

Seema

Nice pictures. And I have always had the best sunsets from Galehead Hut. The customers would get on that big rock and the croo would sit on the roof like you show.

Garfield is always awesome. And as the WMG says, it's always harder than you think it will be. Even after you've done it before!

Pb

Incredible! I am SOOO glad you had such great weather - I was up there in the pouring rain last year. What a fantastic trip - thanks for sharing the pictures and story!

And I agree about the avatar!
;)

Thanks, Seema. That trip was all about terrific food, wonderful views and the right company for sharing both.

By the way, you have a remarkable feel for the weather. Kinsmans, Washington, Carter/Moriah, Twins/Garfield, all on spectacular blue-sky days! Hope the good fortune follows you westward.