Section ofQuinnipiac Trail in CT closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
according to the CT Parks and Recreation Dept a section of the Quinnipiac trail is closed. The section is between Rocky Top and Kimberly/West Woods just before it enters into Sleeping Giant.

There are two reasons: One, Quinnipiac University has road constuction on Kimberly. They are building access to thier sports facility.

The second reason :mad: :confused:
http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=8043781

The safest reroute for the trail is to continue down Rocky Top Rd to Sherman AVe. Take a left until you can access the Farmington Canal Trail. Go North until the trail intersects with West woods then look for the blue blazes as the trail enters Sleeping Giant.

Puck said:
I saw this happen once in my town. They just cut them all down pay the fine that, in the end, is cheaper than paying a lawyer and some consultants big dollars to help you through endless years of wetlands, planning, and zoning meetings just to get your permit. This dude is particularly brazen though.

In a word - Sad.
Smitty

I found out last night that the State of CT has never had an easement for the Quinnipiac Blue Trail. They had permission from the family who has owned the land since the begining of the trail back n the 1920's. The new owner had other thoughts.

Having worked at Quinnipiac University for 20 years it sounds like QU has some deal with Kaplan to take the heat for clearing the land and then sell it to QU so they do not look culpable. QU has a long history of ignoring zoning and acting as though they were above the law. The proximity to the new sports complex definitely makes this clear cutting more suspect than if it were on the other side of town.

Your not the first to express that opinion.

I really liked that section of the trail. The woods had grown up around an old dwelling and farm. The trail passed right through the old foundation.