Wildcat D (46), Wildcat (47), Carrigain (48) - 8/31 - 9/1 2008 - I'm DONE !!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
And so it goes. Another list.

I completed the New Hampshire 48 this past weekend. The Wildcats on Sunday and Carrigain on Monday.

The hikes were not very eventful. They were kind of typical for me. Going up. Then down again.

Fantastic weather and outstanding views.

The Whites are such grand mountains...very spacious and wild and deserving of lots of respect. (Big Understatement)

I was filled with inspiration after almost every peak.

Good days and bad ones. Marathon hikes and short in-outs...

Crashing Thunder - pinned down by some boomers on Cannon with Doodles..."I'm going for it!" Oh My God...om mane peme hung!
The scariest day in the Whites.

Driving Rain - Socked in on Franconia Ridge...50 mph winds. My most dramatic day in the Whites.

The Carters with Monorails - North Carter, gliding in waist deep snow in shorts and tee shirt. Rail walking - the hardest three days of hiking in my life.

Zero degrees at noon at Valley Way tent site. The coldest day in the Whites.

The Presidential Traverse ....squalls..

Tears straming down going up Tecumseh - the culmination of three hard days - the Throne of Tecumseh - I'll never forget.

Tecumseh was my favorite by far.

The most beautiful day I spent in the Whites, luckily, was this past Monday with Carrigain.

Lot's of memories.
I think the friendliest people I've met have all been in the Whites.
Many times I started solo and not ended up that way.

My "Whites" partners - Wayne "Iron Horse" Huebner, Snickers, ferrisjrf and last but not least Doodles - they are the greatest.

Now - I am a Catskill 3500-er and a Winter 35-er, and ADK 46-er a Catskill Hundred Highest-er and now a NH 48-er.
However, I know many people whom I have great respect for and I am greatly humbled by their achievements.

Achievements greatly overshadowing these paltry lists.
Thanks for the inspiration from all of you and you know who you are.

What I am trying to say, about my achievement is "So What!" but not in a bad way. "So What!" to patches and decals and lists.
Great Kudos and respect to the mountains.
Great Respect to the people who have inspired me to hike and climb and to those who do so much more than I.
Those who do so much more for the love of it, for the unabashed fun of going out and walking to high places, to low places, to quiet places, to lonely places, to wild places, to favorite places.

It doesn't matter why we go, it doesn't matter why I go...I just love to go and to be with people that love the same things I do.

These are some of the reasons why I go.

And I go for my kids and I go for my wife to bring the spirit of the mountains and wild places back home to them.
Then I bring them with me in my heart, and sometimes in person. No matter what I do and wherever I go they are with me.

And as usual, as always, I dedicate every peak with a silent blessing ...

"To my boys - Arlo and Jaco and my wife Gina - I dedicate my efforts to the benefit of all sentient beings - Om Mane Peme Hung"

At the end of this list and looking back at it all I realize that I get the booby prize again....Inspiration and an undying love and respect for where we all go...

P.S. I'd like to introduce all of you to my Inner Child who is always hopelessly exposed when I put on my boots and pick up my poles:

You want me to climb what !?!?!?!

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Congratulations, Ronnie -- too bad we couldn't make Carrigain and the Wildcats work out.

Tim

Congrats to you too.
I love seeing the little ones on the mountain.

I haven't been on the boards in a few weeks , I've missed a bunch of finishers.

Nice Summary! Kudos to The Journey as much as the destination!!

The part about what you carry with you, and what you bring home, resonates deeply with me. I feel that way while I'm in the woods, and hope I manage to bring some of the "spirit of the mountains" home with me as well.

You voice so many of the sublime reasons that me and so many others go to the mountains, the benefits beyond the physical and lists: so refreshing.
Congratulations, may your journey continue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Zero-G......

Congratulations again.... It was nice meeting you on Carrigain. I hope those photos I took with your camera came out okay...it was so windy.

Maybe we will meet on the trail again someday.

Ginny

Flatlander_SG said:
Zero-G......

Congratulations again.... It was nice meeting you on Carrigain. I hope those photos I took with your camera came out okay...it was so windy.

Maybe we will meet on the trail again someday.

Ginny

It was a great pleasure to meet the two of you. Even if we only spent a few moments chatting.

The pics turned out snappingly well... :)

Congratulations Ronnie
You know there is a "climb them all again as a family list" :D
It may actually be better the second time around
Great Job
Al