Redfield Herd Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
I have read conflicting reports as to exactly where the herd path to Redfield starts. I hiked Cliff last year and was under the impression that the Redfield herd path started at the same point across from the lean-to. In fact, I have some memory of a herd path breaking off to the left when I started the way towards Cliff.

Can any of you help me out here?

Thanks

Silverback, the herd path for Redfield is only a hundred feet or so from the Cliff trail. It's back towards the leanto more and can't be missed. If you start up the path to Cliff and bear to the left you will very shortly hit the Redfield path at the brook. That's how I found it in the pre-maintained days.

We just followed the marked trail from uphill leanto to the brook crossing about 100 ft beyind the leanto and started upstream alongside the brook. The herdpath became obvious. This was before the herd path was redone, however, and things may be a little different now.

Redfield Redux

A couple of weeks ago I ran into a 46er, Walter Johnson, who told me he had been part of the trail crew that recut the approach to Redfield behind the Uphill Brook LT. He said that it is really nice now, and that it is flagged and will remain so for a period of time - I can't remember for how long - due to DEC regs. He outlined the process required to recut trails, including a proposal by the 46ers, followed by a DEC inspection, etc. The path remains the same from the time you make that right up the other brook, the one you follow to about 2/3 of the way to the top, and walk in and out of (sorry - I don't have the map or book and my memory is not real great on names and compass directions now)

We did Redfield last August from the LT, after a week of rains, and the appoach up the swollen stream, with the falls and pools, was beautiful

I seem to remember that PinPin has done some limbing of the top 1/3 of the trail shortly before we went, so while there were still some trees down across the trail, you could get over and under them without stabbinhg yourself too badly.

WJ said that they have proposed redoing the trail to Cliff, but that the DEC has not visited and approved the changes, that it is not on the schedule for this year, and that it probably will not get done until next year. FWIW

Thanks, everyone. I plan on hiking it within the next couple of weeks. Only wish it could be today. What a perfect day for a hike!

Do not forget when you com to a "y" in the stream to vear to the right! If you keep going straight (left) who knows where that takes you :) I did this hike about 3 years ago before it was maintained. The blowdown was horrid. I wish I would have waited now....lol If it is a nice day you will have awesome views!

Good luck,

ADAM

Re: Redfield Redux

ronandjon said:
A couple of weeks ago I ran into a 46er, Walter Johnson, .... He said that it is really nice now, and that it is flagged and will remain so for a period of time - ....

WJ said that they have proposed redoing the trail to Cliff, but that the DEC has not visited and approved the changes, that it is not on the schedule for this year, and that it probably will not get done until next year. FWIW

The flagging will stay for a few more months, to ensure the path gets established.

Cliff most definatley will have a new starting point. We have several options at this point. We have to move it out of that old wet muddy trail. Some time this summer, we will be scouting the options, and have the proposal t the DEC. The delay depends on the length of the re-route. We'll probably get Marshall done before Cliff.

The Redfield herd path is RIGHT behind he Uphill Brook lean to. The path to Cliff starts off the marked trail about 75 -100 feet west (toward Lake Colden) from the start of Redfield path. The beginning of the path is heavily flagged. Enjoy....we tried Redfiled in April but were turned back by deep snow (hip deep at least)and a totally buried and indistinguishable path....and Redfield is our last to finish the 46...turning around was TOUGH but it was getting late......

Redfield is pretty straight forward as long as you know that you stay right at the split... obvious, but at a point that you're into the enjoyment and not necessarily paying attention (and the trail is decent by then).

Good news about the Cliff restructure... always a bog to negotiate... jeeze, how will you know it's Cliff?

Pete - what's the plan with Marshall? I thought the trail was decent, albiet a bit wet from following the brook (with some confusion at the top). Assume that you are talking about the Herbert Brook ascent... doing anything over to the '65 AlG Pass Trail?