Number Five Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
In Christopher Keane's book Northern Woods Walks, he gives a route description for reaching the fire tower on Number Five Mountain (which is southwest of Jackman). Here are my suggestions for revisions for the directions to this trail:

From Jackman, drive twelve miles south, and you'll see Spencer Road come in on the right (there's some other large signs at the start of this road). Turn right here. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact mileage of how long you're on Spencer Road, but it's about 16-17 miles. What will happen is a short while after you drive by the sign for Hardwood Mountain Road (which is on the left), on the right you'll see an old logging road with a snowmobile sign and a small, vertically aligned sign that says "NO 5 MTN." Turn right here. This road is a little rough, so people in lower cars might not like it, and if so, parking on Spencer Road is an option. This road goes for 0.4 of a mile before ending at a logging yard. The access trail for the fire tower continues straight ahead. From this logging yard, Number Five Mountain is to the northwest. Since this trail isn't actively maintained, there are tons (and tons) of blowdowns along it, which make for slow going. But, those who perservere will be rewarded with amazing views from the tower on the summit.

Just heard in August that a few locals are going to try and clean up the trail at Number 5 this fall. It's a nice hike with rewarding views!

Bill

Okay, I'll bite. Who is Christopher Keane? Searches on Amazon and Google turned up nothing. Can you tell us about the book? Sounds interesting...

Christopher Keane is an outdoor guide from Greenville who wrote the book "Northern Woods Walks." It acts as kind of MMG for the greater Moosehead/Upper Kennebec Valley region. This book might not have wide distribution, but is readily available around Moosehead (I picked up my copy right in Greenville). Northern Woods Walks overlaps quite a bit with the MMG, but also lists some worthwhile hikes that aren't in the AMC book. When using Northern Woods walks, just be mindful that the mileages given are often off (as seen by some of my other postings recently).

You can get it at Northwoods Outfitters on Lily Bay Rd. in Greenville or the bookstore across the street. He also wrote a few other books one of which is a Novel about Mount Kineo.

For anyone not in the area that may want a copy, Northwoods Outfitters (1-866-223-1380) was able to mail me a copy with a credit card purchase.

Bill

Note that this is not the original firewardens trail with phone line which runs along the brook and I used my first trip.

RoySwkr said:
Note that this is not the original firewardens trail with phone line which runs along the brook and I used my first trip.

When Pig Pen & I 'whacked from #5 to #6 (and on to Crispo peak) we came across what I believe was the old Firewardens trail and phone line. Never know what you'll find once you get off trail.

We found the same thing heading over to Number 6 -- for maybe 1/4 of a mile we followed (off and on) a black wire and what appeared to be a really old trail.

Damn fine mountain that Number 5.

I have heard the the Number Five trail has now been completely cleaned up of blowdowns. Has anyone been up this summer that can confirm?

Bill

I've never hiked No. 5 but I've been down that road a couple of times. The road runs between Jackman and Eustice. It might be an interesting hike at this year's Gathering.

I've had the damnest time finding that road from Rt. 201. I'm not sure what the sign says anymore. Rather than try to give you clues which may become obscure or no longer there, I suggest you find it by navigating off DeLorme.

I also think a topo would be helpful since logging or recovery can change the scene very dramatically from even the most recent narratives. This is a challenging and fun part of hiking in the North Maine Woods ... and, if you're seeking solitude, you'll find it here.

About 10 miles from rt. 201 there is a road to the north to Spencer Rips. In four miles, this will take you to an old bridge abutment on the Moose River. This is a good resupply or bailout point on the Moose River "Bow" paddling trip.