Hiker Dies on Haystack Mtn.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason, thank you for writing about Ray’s unfortunate death. I very much appreciate your incredible support and strength of character during this difficult time.

Ridgewalker, my deepest condolences to you, being Ray’s closest friend on this board.

Ray was my primary hiking partner and one of my dearest friends. He and I have done many hikes together, including his 67th New England 4k in October, together with Ridgewalker. He and I also hiked/bushwhacked several New England 100 Highest peaks during July and early August.

Ray was a quiet and unassuming person, but was uniquely and immensely talented. This recently updated Wiki on Ray pretty much describes it all: Ray Loring (thanks for sending me this, Bobby). Ray was also always well mannered, deeply principled, pleasant and polite.

During our hikes, Ray would offer his artistic aspects of views and colors. These perspectives have deeply enriched my experiences in the outdoors and in life in general. Our conversations in the car and during our hikes were always enlightening and the conversation lively.

Thanks to all the incredible responders from the US Forest Service, NH Fish and Game Dept., Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Teams and the local Fire and Police Departments. Special thanks go to Lt. Bogardus for managing this and for his support, professionalism and compassion and to VFTT’s MtnPa, for being my friend in a time of need.

Ray, you will always have a foremost place in my heart. I will miss you terribly.

Here are some recent photos of Ray: Ray pix

EDITED FOR A BAD LINK. SORRY!

Marty

P.S. I will post regarding services when that information becomes available.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever met Ray. Sounds like he was a great guy.

Just in case. To Marty and Jason be aware that you did everything you could have done. Ray would have and in particular his family appreciates it I am certain. Don't second guess what you did. If the doctor didn't tell you I will. Under the conditions involved it is unlikely anyone could have done more.

Condolences to Rays family and his friends. Thanks also to the SAR ground team. Those are always the toughest of jobs.

Keith

OMG - Words cannot describe how we felt when we read this posting. Like others we did not have the pleasure of meeting Ray, but it sounds as though he was loved by many.

Jason, Marty - best wishes to the two of you. This certainly cannot be easy on either of you.

One thing I forgot to mention: thanks to the many members of this Forum for your kind posts, emails, PMs and phone calls. They are all very much appreciated and have given me strength.

Special thanks again for my dear friend Sapblatt, who let me stay with him and who had a sub and a six pack for me last night. You rock, Mike.

Marty

Very sad to hear about this. Condolences to Ray's loved ones and much appreciation to Jason and Marty for all that you did in that difficult situation.

-vegematic

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ray's family, and to Jason and Marty, who were heroic both in their efforts, and in addressing this group with the sad news. While it's always difficult to lose a friend, to be there with them must have been very difficult. I haven't met either of you, but the strength of your character is very evident...

Peace to all -

Scott

This is very sad to read. It has happened here before. I did not know Ray but it sounds like he left something special with those who knew him.

I hiked with Ray last November and was immediately impressed by the man. His death saddens me greatly and my condolences go to all who loved and respected him.

I am glad he had two terrific people, Jason & Marty, in his last moments. It had to be a terrible experience for those two. I know they did their very best to help Ray in every way possible.

My very best wishes & support to Jason & Marty.

I had only met Ray a few times. I believe the first was a small gathering at Marty's place on a 4K footer award night _ and was immediately struck by how gentle a soul he was. He exuded a calm and peaceful spirit, unassuming but not unforgotten.

RIP, Ray...

I had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure, of hiking with Ray a number of times, and also socializing with him on occasion. He was a great companion on the trail. He was also quite modest. Speaking to him, you would not know how acomplished he was professionally, as a composer and teacher.

I will miss him.

My thoughts also go out to Marty and Jason. I can only imagine what you have been going through since Saturday. I hope you both take solace in knowing that you did everything you could. Ray's last day was spent with good and loyal friends.

RIP Ray.

Definitely a sad day.

My condolences to all those who knew and loved Ray.

And my respect for Marty, Jason and Sapblatt for demonstrating kindness, respect, and dignity in difficult times.

What a weekend - Ray was a friend of mine that I met through his major hiking partner, Marty. The few hikes in the White Mountains, and a few more locally were always great times with a special man. People often say things like that, but if you ever got to hike with Ray you would know what I mean.

Ray was something of a renaissance man - he was classically educated and had a wide knowledge of a great many subjects. He was interested in just about anything you cared to talk about and it was truly special to talk to him about music. His knowledge of classical music (through his scholarship and his work) was impressive. He told me later in life he grew to appreciate jazz and even later he showed an interest in popular music - I had the pleasure of burning him CDs of many alternative/punk styles from the past 25 years - he was really glad to have the discs. Ray was the type of man that was never satisfied with what he "already knew" - and he probably would never allow himself to be considered an expert in anything (although he was) Ray always wanted to learn new things and he also was very in tune to younger generations - he found it all fascinating, and I am sure he believed he could learn from anyone.

The way Ray reached out to Clark (ridgewalker) and brought him a love of the outdoors is so commendable - how many of us have ever done anything like that? I do with my own boys, but otherwise I am guilty. On another hike Ray brought one of his college music students on a cold, late fall hike at Pawtuckaway State Park. Ray loved to share his love of the outdoors with others - his enthusiasm was contagious.

Marty has said to me many times that Ray was his hero – the way he went at the hikes, the way he hiked with Marty (who is very fast, but never leaves anyone behind and is always concerned about how the others in his group are faring), the way he was motivated to hike the NH 48, NE 67 and the NE 100 HH – Ray was a great friend and motivator for Marty. That being said, the respect and admiration I have always had for Marty has multiplied may times over with how he handled this impossible situation yesterday. No one could have done anymore than Marty and Jason did for Ray. We are all going to leave life some day – Ray had the benefit of dying doing something he loved and being with like-minded hikers who loved the outdoors. I have only met Jason via a few PMs over the years through VFTT, but I hope I get to hike with him someday. Perhaps Ray’s legacy will be one that gets me to enjoy the thought of bushwhacking, which I find rather unappealing! I am glad that Marty thought to call me (this is the type of guy Marty is – while he is under the stress and shock of the death of his friend, he called me from the ridge at Peak Above the Nubble because he wanted to be sure that Ray’s friends knew about what happened before they heard about it from a news source) – I am even more happy that I was able to get up to Twin Mountain and offer him a place for the night at our camp, and more importantly that he did not have to drive home and he had someone to talk to. Marty – you have been a great friend and I was honored to be able to help in some small way in what was a day that will never be forgotten.

Just the other day I was thinking of hoping I could help to organize another group hike in November like we had last year when Tuco finished his 48 on Whiteface and Passaconaway – and how nice it would be if we could get everyone together again. I was thinking of everyone including Ray. Well, I learned yesterday when Marty called me that Ray will not be joining us anymore, but today when I hiked North Kinsman with Rols, I realized that in a way, Ray will be hiking with us in our thoughts on every hike for the rest of our days.

I'm am deeply sorry to hear this sad news today.

I'm not sure if I met Ray (on Mendon, or maybe at Glen Boulder last year Marty ? ), but anyways, my thoughts are with all Ray's vftt friends and his family.