Hiker Dies on Haystack Mtn.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is terribly sad news.

I had the honor to hike with Ray a number of times, but not nearly enough. The first time we met, I was immediately comfortable with Ray. He seemed to have an ability to meet a stranger and make him a friend. He was special. From the brief time I enjoyed with him it was clear to me Ray was one of the good guys.

My condolences to the family.

timmus said:
I'm not sure if I met Ray (on Mendon, or maybe at Glen Boulder last year Marty ? ), but anyways, my thoughts are with all Ray's vftt friends and his family.

Julie - you met Ray on Glen Boulder, along with my other friend Tom. It was Jason Berard, Jason, Joe, Greg and I on Mendon. Jason Berard and I were the only VFTTers. Jason, Joe and Greg were Jason Berard's friends.

Thank you,
Marty

My condolences to Ray's friends and loved ones. Marty and Jason, my thoughts are with you during this tough time. I can not imagine what it was like for you on Saturday. You must never have felt so alone and isolated from help. The only consolation I can give you is that Ray died doing what he loved and he was with good friends and in a beautiful place when he passed. We all must pass. It is the cycle of life. My father recently passed away after fighting a long illness and I was with him when he died. He had been reduced to a shadow of his former self. Sudden unexpected death, while certainly tragic, avoids prolonged suffering. I've never been good with words, so I hope those that were close to Ray understand what I am trying to say.

- darren

Marty,

It was a pleasure knowing Ray. The hiking world has lost a true friend. I wish that I had been able to hike more with both of you. I hope that you are well. It is a traumatic event for anyone to go through, even a trained professional. Please let me know if I can help.

Bob

I was really sad to hear what happened. My condolences to Ray's friends and family -- and especially to Marty and Jason. I had never met nor hiked with Ray, but he has been on my mind for the past couple of days. I have enjoyed reading the remembrances posted by those who knew him well... he was a remarkable man by all accounts.

A few years back, a member of this group found a human skeleton in the woods and I thought that was bad enough.

But watching a friend die in spite of your best efforts must be far worse.

My sympathies to those companions, and to the team that removed the unfortunate hiker.

My condolences to the family, and Ray, though I never met you personally, it will be a pleasure to walk in the tracks you've left for years to come.

It's always difficult when you hear of these tragedies. It's even more difficult when it's so close to home knowing Ray was part of Views.
My prayers go out to Ray, his family, and his hiking family.

:(

Condolences to Ray's family and friends, especially Jason and Marty. It sounds like Ray was a fantastic man, friend, and hiker.

2632285190099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I found this on the ground while we were waiting for SAR to arrive. At the time Marty and I agreed that the F stood for F*#@ing awful.

Marty, I think it stands for Friendship. You are a real friend to Ray.

My condolences to Ray's friends and family.

I'll never meet Ray but I have to say anyone who can inspire so many
kind and respectful words clearly knew how to live. We can only hope
we're remembered so fondly.

Last edited:
here is a slightly more detailed account in today's Manchester Union Leader.
Article

Thanks again to everyone for their outpouring of support. Some of Ray's family and best friends have been reading this thread and have appreciated your condolences and best wishes.

Marty

P.S. I think my photo link in post #22 was bad. Thought I tested that. I have edited that post and am also including the link here. Please let me know if the link is not working. It is working for me right now...

Ray pix

Last edited:
Happened to me once on the Osseo Trail, and I know that only daily life and years passing can eventually heal the wound. Sympathy to all involved.

Condolences to Ray's family and friends. Sounds like folks are proud to be his friend.
Not many people get to spend their last moments doing what they love.

It's said that one's true colors show during a crisis. Marty and Jason acted quickly with level heads.
Ray must be proud to have friends like you.

mtnpa said:
It's said that one's true colors show during a crisis. Marty and Jason acted quickly with level heads.
Ray must be proud to have friends like you.

You and mtnma also showed your true colors as part of the team that helped - your assistance meant a ton to Marty and Jason and it means a lot to me as a hiker to know there is a community of people who do whatever it takes when an emergency or tragedy occurs.

Also - LarryD from here at VFTT just forwarded this to me from Gordon College, where Ray worked. LINK

Last edited: